Hi, I have a problem regarding my diet. Since few months ago I was able to eat everything. Than one night it all changed. Few hours after I had a wonderful dinner with my friends I got a strange rash and started to have stomach problems. My friends rushed me to the emergency room where the doctor gave me an injection and told me to see my doctor in the morning. Anyway, my doctor told me that I have developed allergy to milk proteins and that I have to avoid milk and all of the dairy products. Now I have trouble adjusting to the new diet. It seems that all of my favorite meals contain some kind of milk in them. Do you know what the best way for me to adjust to the new situation is?

Hi, there are more and more people in the world who suffer from some kind of allergy. Some people are born with them, while others develop theirs some time later in life. I used to suffer from allergy to milk too, but I was only three years old when my allergy was diagnosed. Milk protein allergy usually appears in the early childhood years, like in my case, so it very surprising that you developed yours so late in life. I am sure that it has been very hard for you to adjust to the new situation. I was very young when I had to stop drinking milk and using dairy products, but in time I out grew my allergy and now I can use small amounts of milk. However, how my mother dealt with the new situation, I have no idea. If you can't get used to dairy free products you could try switching to soya milk products. I know that this isn't quite the same, but your health is more important. Also you can talk to your doctor about what kinds of food contain milk protein that you were not aware of, so that you can avoid these products. I hope that in time you will feel better about the new situation.