Hi, couple of months ago I got a new job. The first thing that interested me was the condition of one of mine colleagues. Whenever we went out on a lunch break, he persistently avoided having dairy products. So one day I asked him why is he doing that. The answer stunned me. Apparently he is allergic to dairy products. I have never met anyone with this type of allergy. Can you tell me anything about dairy allergy?

Hi, dairy allergy is mostly common with babies. But there are cases when the adults have it as well. Usually, infants outgrow this kind of allergy by the time they are four, or sometimes by the time they are six. Dairy allergy is the reaction of the organism to one or more proteins found in the cow's milk. The dairy allergy can manifest itself trough the symptoms developed on the skin, respiratory or digestive system. Skin reaction can be formed as an itchy red rash, black eye, eczema, swelling of the mouth, tongue or throat. Respiratory reaction can be shown trough sneezing, watering or itchy eyes, runny nose, wheezing, shortness of breath, cough and in serious cases anaphylactic shock. As for the digestive dairy allergy symptoms, they may be vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramps, gas or bloating. Dairy allergy is rare but if it appears one must be careful about his nutrition and eliminate all dairy products from his diet.