I am 18 years old and 5 days ago my right tonsil became extremely swollen so everytime i swallowed i could feel it in my throat, it wasnt painful at all just irritating. The next day i noticed white spots covering it and i thought they were just tonsil stones, since i seem to get those every once in while. Well that day and the next my throat started to get sore and when i would swallow the tonsil would hurt. The outside of my neck started to hurt especially if i touched where the tonsil was and right under my jawline. I went to the doctor 2 days ago and let me just say he was a horrible doctor and barely even looked at me and just said i had an upper respiratory infection. I have been taking medicine used to treat symptoms of runny nose, cough, fever, and flegm..which i have none of. My neck has started to hurt more and now the upper part of my back right around my neck is in a lot of pain. I had a strep test done and it came back negative and im sure i dont have just a bad cold. Today my left tonsil started to become swollen and now has white mucus spots on it as well as my right. If the problem isnt better in a few days i will be going back to a different doctor but i was just wondering if anyone has ever had anything like this? thank you!

i have the same symptoms, minus the back ache. i had this about a year ago as well, i always have tonsil problems but its only when i get really run down and stressed that it gets this bad. Last year, they couldnt figure out what it was and i saw so many doctors. it hurts soooooooo badly. i wish i knew what it was, but until then i am getting my tonsils out as soon as it goes away

rednlovinit21 i think you might have mono. the white dots and swollen neck at big indicators. u should ask ur doctor for a blood test.

Sounds like a staph infection to me. I've gotten what appear to be strep infections time and again but have never tested positive for strep. Turns out they're staph infections. They look like strep and can be very, very draining on your energy. Mine actually ended up being a very resistant strain of staph that is resistant to all "cillins"-- penicillin, amoxicillin, etc and I had to take sulpher antibiotics instead. Ask for a staph culture. It's more prevalent than you realize.

If the strep test came back negative, most likely you had tonsillitis. Strep throat doesn't always affect the tonsils. I've had chronic tonsillitis my whole life. I live with them being swollen everyday, some days are worse than others. But just recently did they get so bad that my neck and back started to stiffen up. Hopefully this time when I go to the doctor they'll finally decide it's time to take the stupid things out. But go to this page and read it, I found it EXTREMELY helpful.

itonsil.com/tonsils_tonsillitis.html

I have the same thing happening to me right now, minus the pain in my back. My throat started to hurt like 3 days ago and every morning when i would wake up my tonsils would seem to get bigger and bigger and until eventually they started showing white mucus on them, and white dots all over the back of my tongue. I have big lumps on the sides of my neck, and it hurts really bad to swallow or even when i move my neck the wrong way. I am going to the ER today because it is not getting any better. I would suggest you do the same. Because if it goes untreated your tonsils could eventually swell to the point that they block your airway completely. Im guessing you either have mono, tonsilitis, or strep throat!

They told me i have Mono. I have huge swollen tonsils with white puss like stuff on it, my neck glads are swollen and theres no antibiotics for it, if it is mono. If not it is just an infection that you can take antibiotics for. If they arent working ask for a mono test just to make sure.

what you have is Tonsilities, it has 3 different forms mostly its Acute, which will go away in few days, try to see a doctor, he will put u on antibiotics for few days, you can take aleve and tyneol for pain with 4 and 8 hour delay. DRINK ALOT OF WATER even it hurts other wise dont even think about getting better.

I'm a bit of a nervous person, I'm only 19 but recently I have noticed a strange object sensaiton in my throat, just below my left tonsil. I have coughed up tonsil stones before, but this is really started to worry me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I will tell you this; looking on the internet will only make your anxiety worse. Even medical professionals wont be able to help you on these forums, they can just provide information based on your symptoms. Swollen neck glands accompanied by white puss pockets on the throat, can be numerous amount of viral issues, infections, minor problems and major problems. The best thing to do is to go see a doctor. It is typically mono if anitbiotics dont help, but if the antibiotics help, it is typically strep or some throat infection. Mono is cause by the EBV virus, typically, and the best way to prevent transmission is to clean a toilet before you sit, was your hands 5 times a day before and after meals and really watch what you touch/kiss/shake/talk/etc. Rest is good for mono and strep; your body recovers while you sleep and try to sleep as much as you can. Drink liquids, water 8 times a day, when you are sick or not sick. Hydration is very important.

YES YES YES!! I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AND FEEL BETTER THAN IVE EVER FELT!!
Look up Hashimoto's Thyroiditus and FIBROMYALGIA-- you are NOT going to believe what you see. I am betting that you have other seemingly unrelated symptoms which will go away with treatment!!
DONT POO POO me bc you read "DISEASE"!!! One of 10 people has a thyroid disease and doesn't know it! I was one of them and am now cured and back to my old self
OH, and guess how you get Hashimoto's??? FROM A THROAT INFECTION!!!!!!!!

Hi there
about 2 weeks ago now i had tonsillitis and i had a fever, sore throat and ear ache. i went to my doctors and i had been prescribed penicillin and Difflam spray to help my throat. i got better in about two-three days and so therefore i stopped taking my medicine BIG mistake!
Then i had a sore throat again and took what i had left of my prescription and i felt fine for about 5 days. Then 2 days ago i had a bad nights sleep and my left tonsil swelled up so much that it hurts to open my mouth too far, my jaw hurts and the surrounding area hurts too. So i went back to the doctor and i got more penicillin and some ibroprufen. (like thats nurofen stuff) i also had a blood test, but havent had the results yet...
and ive been taking this medicine for the past two days now and yet my condition is a bit better, but i feel lumps sometimes at the back of my throat. i have also got a runny nose and ear ache and slight deafness too. plus i cant talk properly :-(
anyway i know what your going through, it really hurts a lot and it gets me down because now i have missed 4 days at college because of my throat and that doesnt help :-(
luckily, i have a good doctor here where i live, so i recommend that you try to find a better one.

i've been suffering from tonsilitis(i think that's what it is i saw it on the internet) since childhood...(which im still in now).It happens once every year and it feels as if both my tonsils are swollen and (not literally) bonding together.It's very sore and irritatin but ask your doctor for azithromycin(tablets) it tones down the swelling,and Try using warm water with salt(gargle it DON'T drink it)it helps soothe the area and the throat. :$ 8-|

I had a blood test that said I have mono, but I didn't have any symptoms except I was very tired...then 3 weeks later I got what was like the flu for 3-4 days...then I coughed for 3 weeks and I had antibiotics that didn't cure me which I was given in case I had a bacterial infection causing the cough...now it has been 2 weeks of no more cough or flu, but my tonsils are swollen and have been hurting for two weeks when I swallow. If you have white or yellow stuff on your tonsils, it can be tonsilitis. It could be a bacterial infection or a viral infection like mono. Nothing helps me except for cough drops soothe my throat a little and ginger tea. I hope that helps you. My tonsils have been swollen for 2 weeks, but I am just hoping it goes away.

3 days ago I woke up suddenly with my throat aching and after that my right tonsil was swollen. I didn't think it was a problem since it seemed normal but after that I had trouble swallowing and I couldn't talk, eat, or sleep with each swallow was so painful that it kinda connected to my right ear, so whenever I swallow my ear would hurt to. I haven't seen any whit spots and lumps or anything but I don't know what to do, I think its mono since I was babysitting my mom's preacher or something of the church since they had to go somewhere. And you know how kids are sometimes they kiss you like a mother or father way sometimes on the cheek or on the lips and at the time I think he was sick to. does that have anything to do with my tonsils being swollen?