My boyfriend has one mixed drink and at least 3 glasses of wine every night. I cannot remember the last day this did not occur.
Would this be considered an alcoholic? It seems that we always seem to get into verbal confrontations at night (never during the day). He gets very nasty and complains about everything I do. So to me, thats because he is drinking. He says it is not.
I have told him over and over that I want him to stop drinking and he refuses. He says that it is a ridiculous request. I told him that if he didnt stop, it was over between us. But that gets me nowhere. We own the house together and I dont make enough to live on my own.

At one time a while back, he said he drank because he was bored and unhappy and that made him feel better. I told him that was an insult to me and that started one of our nighttime fights.
I thought by moving to a new city things would be different but nothing has changed. He says he is happier, so why is he still drinking?
What do I do? He feels that there is nothing wrong.

I want things to work out, but I dont know what to do anymore.

He may just do this as a habit as a lot of people like to have a small drink at the end of the night to help wind themselves down, although I would not recommend this. However, your boyfriend may have developed a physical dependence on alcohol which is why he is so reluctant to stop drinking even though it is clearly hurting you.

If he continues down this path even after you have tried to get him to stop then I would suggest having him go to some AA meetings if at all possible.

Hope this was helpful.

How would ever convince someone to go to as if they don't think they have a problem.

He has a drinking problem...I'm not saying this just because of the amont he drinks, but because of the fighting after the drinks. you can find a lot of info on this if you do a search online. How are things since your last post, i HOPE YOU'RE DOING BETTER!

tc,

The situation is the same and sometimes worse. The nasty comments continue. Its very frustrating. I have held back sex
and said that we could have sex when he stops drinking. More fights. His mom is coming to visit soon, so I think we will have a little
talk and see what her take is on it. I doubt he would listen to her, just get nasty with her and complain to me about her, just like he complains about everyone. He hates everyone and everything and wont talk to anyone about it. he has no friends and no family to speak to about anything. He claims he counsels everyone else, but just alienates everyone from each other. Very sad person.

he may be alcoholic if that started a long time.

It sounds like he is well on his way to becoming a full blown alcoholic, I know. I was for years & lived with one too. Make a decision one way or the other while you are young, if things don't improve, end it!