Hello, everyone! I was doing some research and found this site. It's really interesting to me so, I would like to give it a try. I am currently 16 years old and I am a dual enrollment student. I take all college classes and I am the only one (out of 3 siblings) to have a driver's license. It's my job to drive my siblings to and from school. I set an alarm so I can wake up in the morning and I even wake up my sister sometimes. I also have a job and take martial arts. My martial arts teacher is bringing the adult class (the class that I attend) to a special event that is happening in a different state and my parents won't allow me to attend. When I asked them why they used the excuse "You're only 16 and you have other obligations". I can't help but feel depressed and angry about this statement. With all the responsibilities that are given to be at 16, one would think that my parents would allow me to attend a trip with other ADULTS. Most of these adults have families as well and my parents have even met them. At this point, I feel that I'm only an adult whenever it is best for them. I am constantly putting my siblings first. I really don't have time for myself. I try my best to stay out of the house so I can have some time to focus on my needs. If a friend wants to hang out, I have to turn them down because I'm in charge of taking my brother and sister home. They are both handicapped (one mentally and the other physically). I'm not angry with them because they weren't asked to be this way. I'm angry that my parents didn't give me a valid argument and there is a chance of missing out on this great opportunity because of something that I have absolutely no control over. I just want to go on the trip to take a break from all of the stress. My parents think that they understand, but I can assure you that they don't. Sometimes I feel like my feelings are just inconvenient for them so I try not to ask for much. I understand that they have two other children to look after. If I want something, I'll just get it myself. My teacher is suppose to talk to them, but I have a feeling that it's not going to do much. At this point, my parents make me want to not be 16. I just want to hurry up and turn 18 so I can start my own life and worry about myself instead of other people's expectations. 

I feel really bad for you. You should be allowed to be a teen and participate in the same things your peers do. My sister-in-law (14 years younger than my wife) did the same with her oldest daughter. She made her take care of the younger ones and do all the home making chores she should have been doing herself.

There are state agencies where you could go for help but that will result in the state getting involved in all your lives. It's my opinion that the government does not make a good parent either but it may be preferable to how you are forced to live now. Can you go to a school counselor?

You sound like you are a terrific girl and you may be able to work this out for yourself so you can survive until you reach the age of majority. I wish you all the best and please come back to let us know how you are doing.