Hi, I would like to know something about martial arts in generally. How much time weekly should I practice martial arts to be in a good shape? I am 23 years old and no extra weight, but in no shape at all too. So, will martial arts help me? I am just trying to start living healthier, if that is possible.

Why wouldn’t it be? Of course, there is still a long way for you to travel but if you are serious about it, you will reach that good shape in no time. And that no time phrase is somewhere between three and 6 months, with at least four times a week. The ideal thing would be everyday, but the tempo of life today does not allow that to happen.

Like anything else the more you do it the better you will be at it, however, with as busy as everyone is now a days a daily martial arts class is hard to squeeze in. Most any form of Martial arts will help you get in shape and learn a great skill at the same time. Some classes are more athletic than others. Many of them will train you on skills, flexibility and agility, and leave you to work on aerobic exercise on your own. Depending on just how much physical activity your looking for. Some will keep you more active in class than others. Go watch a class or two of each style to see which one suits what you are looking for or just pick one and go for a walk / run every other day, or any other aerobic exercise that you may like.

I am fond of Shorin Ryu style of karate. It seems to be the most well rounded style and involves plenty of physical activity without going too far over the top.