Hi, I am 21 years old and I am training Aikido for six months already. I was very excited when I have started to train this martial art but as time passed things were changing. Reason for it was my martial art instructor who is very strict and he is forcing me to repeat some moves and strikes for hundreds time until he is satisfied. I dont know what to do about it.

Hi, I was also training martial arts and I think you are very lucky because you have such instructor. It is your advance because he will teach you how to be much disciplined and he will improve your technique. Be patient and you will see that your efforts will be granted at the end.

It can be great to practice moves until perfected, however at the same time if you are not happy for some time, probably best to look for another teacher

New Member

That's Aikido, I'm afraid. You will need to repeat strikes many thousands of times to become sufficiently proficient at them to use them under any kind of pressure. The traditional Japanese MA method to achieve this is repetition so constant and dull that it numbs the conscious mind and allows you to 'program' the moves into the subconscious. Your instructor is also testing your spirit. If you can't cope with being bored, how will you cope when you're thrown hard and have to get up and fight on? Have a read of Robert Twigger's excellent 'Angry White Pyjamas' for an insight into where your Aikido teacher is coming from. In one form or another, you will encounter this in any martial arts teacher.