Few months ago one side of my face starting feeling numb, so neurologist sent me for an MRI of my brain, as he said it sounded like I was having a mini-stroke. The MRI came back fine, but the feeling is there. Even the left side of my mouth even feels numb. Has anyone else experienced this type of face numbness?

Hey, I have the same symptoms on the left side too. The numbness in the face, but not all the time, like falling sleep numbness and also my hands swell and hurt during the night but that is from carpal tunnel syndrome. I haven’t seen neurologist yet.

The right side of my face became numb. After having an MRI and a visit to a neurologist, it was determined that I had a small stroke. That was 3 years ago. Some of the feeling came back, but some parts of my face are still numb. I also was told the MRI showed several TIA's and I have small vessel disease. I also found out my blood pressure was very high. I previously had low blood pressure.

Starting a few months ago I started getting this nubness on the left side of my tongue and mouth and teeth which lasts about 15 minutes. But the other day I had the same numbness plus my left hand also got numb and had a very weak feeling too. It was that same numbness you get after a dentist appt. Any suggestions?

Yes, I would immediately go to a medical clinic and get checked out.

Numbness on one side or the other, especially progressive numbness can be a sign of a stroke or nerve damage.

I would not delay on this.
Go get a work up immediately.
It could be the most important visit to the doctor you'll ever make! :-(

You have described what I have been going through since July 15th of 2008. I have been to many doctors and specialists since and had a few diagnostics such as CT and MRIs performed

- long n short is doctors say I'm healthy, and I suspected it could be due to chronic less obvious sinus problems, and or related hig blood pressure meds and or old neck injuries that have caused some irreperable nerve damage.

MRI didnt seem to show any TIAs said the Neuro, but there were some unidentified bright objects they said - weird, and he wasn't overly concerned. HE said that merely added up with High BP or people with blood vessel disease - that sounded scary.

One doctor suspected even at a first glance it was some type of peripheral nerve condition. Which still isn't ruled out. As I have had 2 whiplash-like injuries to my neck.

I also have one pal that I went to university with going through a very similar thing - which blows my mind. He sounds even worse than me with facial PAIN (he was given supected diagnosis of Eagle's Syndrome which sounded rare). Google it.

I should also mention, I have ringing in the ears esp Left and dizziness off + on.

Unfortuantely - the warnings on my BP meds (Micardis) covers alot of these weird symptoms, and I never relly had anything this pronounced before I started on them.

I'm no doctor - but have a Phys Ed degree and some general Athletic Therapy background.

I don't wanna freak anyone out - n sometimes reading on the net will drive a person batty :-p. Never pronounce yourself sick unless someone proves it. Breath - relax. And I have had a few panic attacks in my lifetime.

Ask you doctor about taking a baby asprin once a day and why you might dep's on your family and personal history.

BUT Never start taking any meds no matter how smart someone might sound, without talking with a doc first.

Hope to hear from anyone if you wanna compare some notes? I find this is more pronounced after exercise.

***Email Address Not Allowed on Board***
Edited by Moderator 1/2/09

Thanks

So in relation to all this weird stuff - here's what anyone can do to not only possibly lessen the symtpoms of this - but reduce risk for many other health issues:

Baby Asprin once a day if doctor allows - reduce risk of stroke / heart attack.

Eat blue Berries every day if you can - antioxidants proven to fight some cancers.

Vitamin D suplliment - aprox 800 IU a day according a Shoopers D mart pharmacist I spoke to last night. Since Vit D over the month - I feel way mroe alert without caffeine and get way more reg sleep. General wellbeing really increased. Vitmain D is also being reearched in a possible link, that deficiencies may attribute risk to Multiple Sclerosis (goggle that too).

Drink no more than 2 coffees / day + avoid coffee and alcohol on the same day. After more than 2 coffees switch to a herbal tea and on days off - if ya really dont need to be THAT alert - skip the coffee - its poison and screws up your appetite. Coffee is also a bowel irritant.

Alcohol, a red wine only with food ocaisionally, but beer and hard liquor are very hard on the system. beyond a drink a day - the body really doesn't like this.

Stimulants - caffeine pills? Red Bull? Gym suppliments / body building powders n c**p - Steer clear. (Long list of why - no time now, )

WATER - 8 - 12 glasses a day. Why is this so simple yet such a challenge somtimes - I couldnt tell you but get a water bottle and glue it to your hand. Dehydration alone can cause a bouquet of nasty sensations and decreased energy.

Smoking - for the Love of God and yourself - quit - almost any disease lists this as a mafor facctor, for how it depresses the immune system. Maybe not any, ok- but MANY, and not just cancer, COPD, CVD, STROKES ! and more

Exercise light one day and slightly more vigorous the next, back and forth - do something EVERY DAY for 20 - 30 minutes.

Diet 3 heathly meals a day, preferably at REGULAR times with healthy snack in between - eat less more often - like a bird.

Take garlic - oil is more potent, fish oil, omega oils, B-complex vitamins, as well as C or even just a good quality multi. Any combo of this seen fit and or discused with a doc.

Anyone who does most of these - for about a month or longer - and if you don't start to feel better noticably in ANY way - then I would be running back to the doctor.

And eventually when I can afford it - All food I buy may likely be organic, and I'll throw out my microwave. Processed foods are poison.

I forgot to mention - stay the H* from M S G - it makes even the healthiest people sick. And its in more foods than you would think - READ LABELS and minimize this esp.if you suffer panick attacks ! or breathing troubles.

I hope anyone who reads this enjoys a more healthy life forward.

Cheers from Alberta.

Hi Hun.. Yea my left side of my face/cheek and teeth are numb.. I have ms so I puttin it down to that!!! But it's still doing my head in... It's been like it for about 9 days. Ms Nurse said it' will go by itself!! So I'm not much help sorry!!! Xxxx

I have facial numbness for almost a year.  The chiropractor has determined it is due to nerve damage from whiplash injury.  I am now having dizziness and I have weakness in my left side.  I have been to many doctors and only one who seems to be able to explain it is the chiropractor.  I am now going to see a chiropractic neurologist to hopefully get more answers and figure out what can be done.  I have had several CT scans and MRIs which have shown nothing.  It is very frustrating.  I do notice the symptoms are worse when I am stressed and tired and caffeine does intensify them.  Though exercise is dificult with the extreme dizziness it is very important and does help relieve the symtoms.  My facial numbness has been less frequent with treatments from my chiropractor and stimulating my left side.  The exercises seem a little wierd but they do work.  I have to balance on my left leg for a minute several times a day and write the alphabet in the air with my left hand.  I also get weekly massages through the chiropractor that also relieve the tension in my neck.  Yoga and regular walking/running are also a good way to relieve some stress which helps relieve my symptoms.

Several doctors have told me there is no cure and it is a matter of learning to live with and manage the symptoms.  Though it makes work and daily chores difficult at times "managing" the condition with exercise and diet does help make it easier.

I too am have numbness on my left side and just recently had a root canal done on my right side. the numbness affects my tongue also.

Yes, I have. Unlike you comma mine was due to stress and argument over finances. I thought for a short period after that, I started feeling unsteadiness in my right hand. My face twitches when I smile. I have not had an MRI but I go to the VA on Friday. I hope that it is fine. I am scared but I know that it is a high probability b/c my mom had on 10 years ago and her entire right side was affected.

Yes I've had it for about two years, particularly when I exercise my left side goes numb and I always take a big gasp. I've had an MRI too and it also came back fine, now I don't know what to do.

I underwent ECT and now nothing has taste, my mouth feels numb and puffy all the time and I have an odd taste in my mouth. My dentist suspects it is due to nerve damage caused during the ECT. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms

do you suffer from migraine headaches? I had the same problem, one day the left side of my face went numb and then other parts of the left side of my body started randomly going numb. I went to the er and they said it was from migraines. apparently facial numbness means different things depending on which side of your body it is