I have two lines (wrinkles) running vertically down from near the corner of my right eye. Nobody else in my family have these same lines, so I am quite sure they aren't genetic/hereditary, and in addition, I have never seen anyone else, either in the media or in life, who has these same lines. They are very odd, and I don't think they look good. I have other wrinkles as well, of course, but they are appearing along predictable lines in places where my face moves (frown and laugh lines). These two are different. What causes them and what could I do about them, if anything?

Thanks. 

Vertical lines? One of my relatives has got those and I always thought they were odd. I mean, they don't make much sense at all really 'cause where would you get those? Not from facial expressions you make most of the day, that much is clear... so yeah, I have to say that those lines baffled me too. My relative only got one actual line going down mind you. Anyways, so, I noticed, though I'm pretty young, that I sometimes WAKE UP with a line like that. It goes like 10 minutes after I wake up. I only see it 'cause I tend to go to the bathroom and look in the mirror right after I wake up. So I was talking to my mum about this and I figured out that it was... I always sleep on the same side. My skin is obviously squishing into itself. Could sleep or sleeping positions be causing yours too? Mind you I just can't sleep any other way, believe me I've tried, so there's nothing I can do about it. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing as Londongirl. If you sleep on that side mostly, try the other side if you can.

You know what? Me, I just can't do that. I can't fall asleep like that! I hate that but it's true so well, I figure I'll have to either live with it or figure out something else later in life. Botox, I'm sure, will do the trick for the actual line though it may make the surrounding skin look way too unnatural 'cause the line ain't normal in the first place. Hyaluronic acid fillers are meant to be way more pliable looking so tthat may be something you could look into as well. There's gotta be something out there, you know?

I am with the two others who have already said this. Wrinkles can be influenced by sleeping position a great deal. What I would do is to look for a huge and soft pillow, real feathers perhaps, to cushion the impact some. Sleeping with your face more elevated also combats fluid buildup, AKA edema. Perhaps massaging the lines will help some too? I don't know. I would have no qualms about seeing a plastic surgery clinic about something like this, in any case, because it doesn't sound pleasant.

All kinds of things, from your menstrual cycle to where you live and even the food you eat, influence the way in which you get wrinkles. Most people do not, however, get vertical wrinkles. I agree that this is odd. I would never have thought of sleeping positions as a cause but now that other people mention it this does make sense. You spend about a third of your life sleeping, after all. Repeated pressure on the same spots can cause wrinkles. It would be the same if you wore a mask all day long, presumably, just like some gadgets like those lip devices promise to reduce wrinkles by wearing them and putting pressure on strategic spots. Interesting...

With so many treatments for wrinkles available today, all best used on various kinds of wrinkles, I'd simply advise you to make a consultation appointment with a good plastic surgery clinic or medical spa. Here on the internet, we can only speculate as to what is causing those lines. It may be something completely different. Whether you ultimately end up with fillers, peels, laser treatment or something else, it is always best to seek medical attention as soon as you can.

Good luck.

Vertical wrinkles near the mouth can be caused by long-term smoking. Vertical lines around the eyes, however, are more likely to be caused by sleeping positions, as already mentioned here. They are called "sleeping lines" and are caused by the continuous pressure of the pillow onto the face in people who always sleep on the side of their faces rather than on their backs. Considering that we spend a third of our lives asleep, it is no surprise that people who frequently sleep in the same position develop these sleep folds. Unfortunately, changing sleeping positions can be a real challenge.

Ah, well, for wrinkles like that, whether they are "odd and non genetic" or just regular old deep wrinkles in regular old places, I think you should be investigating hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, whether they are restylane, juvederm, radiesse, etc. These literally puff your wrinkles out from the inside, and are the most popular dermal fillers around now, much more so than botox. The results last around half a year, meaning you do have to repeat the procedure if you want to remain wrinkle free, but you can expect fairly radical improvements.

I am wondering how well dermal fillers would combat these strange lines. They are mostly used and tested on people who have regular old wrinkles in regular old places, after all. And if they are indeed sleeping lines, then the pressure that caused them in the first place is only likely continue post dermal filler. If only a dermatologist could pop in here and answer this interesting question for us, that would sure be cool.

Anyone?