Hello

I am a healthy 23 year old male, working out regularly and taking care of my eating habits. I do not binge drink. I do not smoke. I do not sunbathe.

Why do I have huge problems with very visible lines under my eyes then? This is more for people who are at least 10 years older than I am and maybe more. My dad has less lines under his eyes than I do. I try not to be vain but it does bother me. 

What is causing this and what could I do to fix this? Really looking for some practical advice here. 

Hiya,

When did these lines start appearing, and are you more talking wrinkles or dark circles that make you look like you have wrinkles? I know you say you eat healthy, but it's always good to give that another look... plenty of fruit and veg will give you more antioxidants, and that shows on your skin. You could also investigate a good Vitamin C serum (see thread going on about that right now!!!) and another thing that's pretty cool for people with wrinkles, sagging, or who just want to give their skin a bit of a boost is phytoceramides. If it can help people double your age, it will probably help you too!!! Having said all that, yeah, if you're worried about this just see your GP. Who knows? There may be medical issues causing this that you haven't considered (or even heard of, you know?). Just 'cause you have a healthy lifestyle don't mean you can't be ill in some way.

For fairly fine lines, Juvederm injections and chemical peels can help. Since you are only in your 20s, I assume that's all you need — you can have eyelid surgery to reduce really deep wrinkles and sagging, but that is basically unheard of in people your age. Anyway, what I'd do in your situation is to see a plastic surgeon and to ask what can b e done. First, figure out why you have the lines and then discuss treatment options.

I looked up Vitamin C serum and ordered some off the web. Perhaps it will make a difference, who knows? If it works on women it works on men too, I assume. I will also Google the other things that were mentioned by the other poster, the injections and the chemical peels. I have heard of and considered botox but I think it can cause rigidity as well, which looks very unnatural and plastic as it were.

Further suggestions still welcome.

When I see young folks post these messages I do wonder how bad their wrinkles really are, or if they are perhaps bigger in their minds than what other people actually see, you know what I mean? This is where it would be real good to have the ability to post pictures, like they do on that real self website. That way people could say, nah, you're worried for nothing, or yeah, go and make that appointment. But as it is, plastic surgery consultations are quite often free so you can just ask and see what they suggest. Good plastic surgeons will always say you don't need stuff if you don't, you know?

Like other posters, I am wondering how bad your problem is. Are the lines visible all the time, or only when you smile? How deep are they? For older people, a blepharectomy is often a good option. This is also called an eyelid lift. For you, though, a good skincare regime may be all you need if the lines are much less pronounced than you think, objectively speaking. If you really do have excessive wrinkling for your age, then CO2 laser treatment would be a good thing to look into. This reduces wrinkling in a safe manner. 

Hello

Thank you for replying to my question.

The lines under my eyes are really huge for my age. When I look at other guys my age, they don't have them. I never get carded when I buy alcohol, some of my mates do. I think I look a lot older than I am and I don't like it.

The CO2 laser sounds interesting. I already looked it up and will try to find out if anyone is offering this in my area. Do you have any pointers on what to look for when choosing someone to administer this treatment?

I just wanted to ask you if you have heard of and considered restylane as a filler. I just had this done three days ago both on my lips and eyes. Right at the moment I am feeling sore and swollen but the process went smoothly, numbing cream was used, and I think I can already see that the results will be good, though I am still waiting to see what I'll look like once the swelling subsides completely. This is a good and safe option that delivers results instantly, and in your age group it would definitely be something I would be considering.

Celebrity

Hey,

Could you consider one of the following treatments?

A retinoid, either Retin-A or over the counter retinol in a low strength. This has been proven to increase collagen production and reduce fine lines very quickly. Many, many people swear by it. Roc Multi Correxion Eye Treatment is one such eye treatment that contains retinol and that may help you. 

Tazorac as a topical under-eye treatment. It is not something I have ever used myself, but again, many people are very happy with it. 

As a male, you are probably not into using tried-and-tested solutions that involve makeup, such as the Touche Eclat. That is really awkward. I hope you find something that works for you.

Rosie

I just spent a long time looking at articles about retinol, Retin-A, what they can do for the skin, before and after pictures... everything. I want to thank you for posting this because I think it may do something for me and I am pleased to know that there may be a solution that works without surgery. At the very least, trying it before considering more radical methods is good. Do you think it is best to start with a retinol before seeing a doctor about a Retin-A prescription, or should I go for Retin-A right away?

Thank you.

I wanted to say that fine lines, when you are not actively smiling or frowning but resting your face, usually point to sun damage in people in their early 20s. Such sun damage can cause the skin to lose some of its elasticity, making wrinkles appear earlier. My first advice for you would be to start using a sun screen all the time, especially around that area. This will prevent the problem from becoming worse. Then look into laser treatment to improve the look of the skin. Fraxel is a very good option here.

Another thought is that several things can contribute to general puffiness under the eyes, which in turn increases the appearance of wrinkles. Since you're male it's probably not a makeup allergy, but well, there's plenty of other things you can be allergic to. Sinus infections and seasonal allergies are notorious for doing bad stuff to your eyes, and that can make you look quite a bit more wrinkled. So of course if that is at play you gotta first get the right treatment and then see where you go from there, if your lines got better, and so on. I know you said you eat healthy but too much salt can also make your eyes puffy.

This was my issue as well. I had spent a long time in the sun all my life, and by the time I was 30, I looked older than I liked. I now wear sunscreen religiously, and also had botox to fill in the lines quite recently with the intention of repeating that when this current dose wears off. I am very happy with the results, but you do need to find the right person for the job. I was puzzled to hear that some dentists (!) are offering botox for instance. I would not want botox from a dentist to be perfectly honest, because that is not their specialty.