I am turning 46 this summer and my age is finally creeping up on me. I think I'd like something more than serums and moisturizers, something that can really make a dent in those wrinkles, most especially some rather deep forehead lines that have been appearing over the last few years and that seem to now be accelerated.

Should I have botox? What else is out there now? Laser treatment, I think? Microdermabrasion? Please help me out because I don't know what I'm talking about. I want the treatment to be safe and hopefully longer lasting. No surgery if I can avoid it.

Have you looked into dermal fillers by any chance? I mean, I've heard that the good old botox you mention is actually still the best option for deep forehead lines, but hyaluronic acid fillers like juvederm, radiesse, and many others are more natural and work in a completely different way, filling your skin out. I believe this is ultimately a better option for you than even a facelift. I suggest you check out some pictures of women who had it done, before and after, so you can see what you can achieve with fillers. You may be amazed!

Deeper chemical peels, the deepest of which is phenol, can certainly make a very impressive dent in forehead wrinkles. TCA would probably do the trick, in higher concentrations. You can also look into microdermabrasion, but laser resurfacing is fast becoming a more viable option for many as it doesn't have the same downtime and achieves similar or even better results.

Nonetheless, I'd have a chat with a dermatologist about the options, very much with an open mind, rather than making decisions on your own. They know what will work for the lines you have better than anyone else, after all.

First off at this age you will be wanting to look into retin-A, which is a vitamin A derivative originally created to help people with acne but that has powerful anti-age effects as well. Many people describe it as miraculous. I don't feel that way myself but it's definitely another part of my skincare routine that plays an important role in maintaining a youthful look. Microdermabrasion is another thing you can look into. Yes, having that done regularly will certainly contribute to a look that doesn't give your age away and particularly helps for forehead lines and deep lines around the lips.

I'm the person who started this and wanted to thank you for your replies.

Currently on my research list: botox, other dermal fillers (or is botox not really a dermal filler?), chemical peels, retin-A, microdermabrasion. What about a mini facelift? Is that minimally invasive or does it just help with wrinkles less than a regular facelift?

I am off to do some research and will share what I find out as well for others who may be reading this who could be as clueless as I am right now.

Just throwing this out there, because I have the same problem and have also been vigorously browsing the web for possible solutions. I am in my late 30s.

I have read that forehead wrinkles are actually the result of drooping eyebrows. Botox can solve the problem, but also numbs your facial expressions and can even take away your ability to raise your brows if the doc puts too much, meaning you get that typical plastic botox look. A brow lift operation is another possibility that not many people think about. But it can really help with those wrinkles.

Celebrity

Papaya, banana, and coconut oil are all good for the skin, helping you maximize the potential of your natural skin without resorting to drastic measures. Do they do the same as fillers? No! But you could add them to your routine anyway.

I'm with the idea that hyaluronic acids are safer as bioidentical substances rather than toxins, which botox of course is! I would absolutely choose something like Radiesse over botox, not that I'm doing either. There is something to be said for growing old gracefully as well. But that is a personal choice of course. Whatever you do, good luck.

Rosie

I would definitely be considering stepping up my beauty routine a tad you know? There's this Estee Lauder Night Repair thing which is pretty neat, I have to say, and it has a foil mask as well. There's these placenta masks you could look into, or snail gel creams, and hyaluronic acid serums, and vitamin C serum. You also need to exfoliate twice a week to get rid of old and dead skin cells, which can make you look older, and of course make sure you do use a sunblock every single day, even on shady days and even if you will spend all day indoors. Not everyone wants, can afford, or has enough courage to have surgical procedures done but pretty much everyone can delay ageing with a potent skincare routine. There's a lot out there that will delay ageing and help you age gracefully. :)