I've been experimenting with pure oils like coconut oil, Argan oil and jojoba oil a little over the last year or so. I really like them, but sometimes I think my skin needs something a little more nourishing, and something a little more rich? Butters are said to be awesome, but I have never used them and don't really know where I should start looking. If you are into natural skincare then what butters would you say are the best? I have combination skin by the way. I'd like something that does both my dry areas and my oily areas justice.

TIA :)

Hi! I use raw organic shea butter and am very happy with it! I have eczema and generally very sensitive skin. My skin reacts badly to almost any commercial product I put on it and of course, I want to keep my skin hydrated, especially where it is severely dry. I was introduced to shea butter perhaps six, seven years back? While you do need to heat it a little bit before applying it, it is otherwise low hassle and has served my skin very well, even where I have eczema. I would absolutely recommend you try it. Look for raw organic though, which is better for your skin.

Celebrity

Shea butter is most definitely a popular choice. I love it too, for the body and also for the hair. It has some vitamins and even a (very) small sun protection factor. Best of all, it feels very nice on the skin and is very nice and moisturizing. 

Cocoa butter is another excellent natural butter choice for people who do not have acne. If you do have acne, cocoa butter can make it worse so keep that in mind. 

Mango butter, meanwhile, is absolutely awesome if you have dry skin, especially of the kind that even starts bleeding and cracking. It applies nicely and isn't harsh, but very moisturizing. In addition it also smells great.

Rosie

Shea butter is, I know, something many people use with joy every day. I wasn't one of them, LOL. I have severe blackheads pretty much all over, and when I started using shea butter, I noticed that it clogged my face even more, giving me open pimples near the hairline, around my eyes, in the creases of my nose... So beware if you're prone to pimples. Shea butter can clog the pores. I would opt for a much lighter product now, this is just too heavy for my skin and perhaps doesn't allow it to "breathe" properly or something. Just my experience, of course.

I love Acai Face butter by Carol's Daughter. It is excellent for really dry skin types. Besides acai berry, this butter also contains soybean oil, almond oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, carrot, fennel and marigold. It smells heavenly and contains no petroleum or other ingredients that give you the deceptive impression of improvement only to surprise you with pimples or worse dry skin later on. I'd recommend it to anyone who also has very dry skin, but don't think it would be good for the acne prone.

Yikes, that sounds positively nasty! Thanks for sharing that I guess. I don't think I would use it on my face myself either because it sounds like shea butter is just too rich for my face anyway, but I've been looking for stuff to put on my poor dry legs, LOL, and yeah, shea butter is one of the things I thought might be worth a try. Do you think it would do weird stuff to my legs too, or should it be alright for my legs? Hope you can answer this for me...

I have used shea butter on my face in winter, during those really cold and windy days, and it gave me a boost and kept things hydrated. Now that the weather is getting a little better, though, the shea butter would be too much. It would make my skin look greasy and may even cause breakouts. Yes, I have tried in the past and am not doing that again. In general, most skin types benefit from a lighter moisturizer rather than a richer one during spring and summer, moving towards butters and heavier creams only during the colder seasons.

Celebrity
Shea butter should be fine for your legs. However, don't forget to exfoliate your legs as well! You could try a sea sponge or any scrub that's designed for the body, including a simple salt and honey scrub you make yourself. This should go a long way towards getting rid of the skin that is already flaking, and then the shea butter, or any butter you end up choosing, will hydrate the rest of your skin.

Rosie

You want to review the comedogenic ratings of these things as well, before making a choice. Face butters are very high on that scale, both coconut butter and cocoa butter. Wheat germ oil ranks very high as well. If you are prone to pimples and you are looking for something that will not clog your pores and cause pimples, then the better products to consider using include avocado oil, argan oil, hemp seed oil, mango butter and shea butter. If you are not prone to pimples you could perhaps handle the oils and butters mentioned above but I would still be careful.

Shea butter is great for people with very dry skin as a moisturizer. However, if you have normal or even oily skin, then you need to stick to less creamy products and go for thinner lotions. Those do moisturizer your skin, but without clogging the pores and creating a thick barrier that does not allow your skin to even breathe. It is very important to choose products that are right for your individual skin. Just because something worked for someone else with a different skin type does not mean it will work for you by any means. Shea butter would be a disaster for me, for example, because I have combination skin.

Don't butters clog your pores??? They are too thick and not really made for use on the skin of your face, they're more meant as a body lotion I think and you're bound to break out real bad when you put something heavy that blocks the skin and stops it from breathing you know? No way would I put that on my face but yes as a body lotion, that's what they are made for anyway, like the ones at Body Shop they are all for the body and look really creamy way too much for the face.