Celebrity

Hey,

Does anyone here use unrefined shea butter for dry skin, just the shea butter by itself? I have very dry and sensitive skin, usually mostly on my face but right now, I am dealing with dry patches, sandpapery dry patches, on my upper arms and all over my legs as well. I am using a natural cream with papaya and coconut oil, but that is no longer moisturizing enough, so I am looking for different solutions. 

The idea of a single-ingredient product that is completely natural and if possible organic appeals to me. 

If you have done this, please tell me about it and share what brand you bought as well if you can. 

Thanks,

Rosie

Celebrity

Nobody? Nobody here has tried shea butter?

I like shea butter quite a bit, and I have slapped some on the skin around my body whenever I felt it needed some extra help. I am not quite sure what you mean by unrefined, but I am sure a pot of shea butter will help you hydrate your skin. I just look on the internet for the cheapest shea butter and see where the good deals are, then order some. Same for everything else I am after. Or if I don't have shea butter, coconut oil does a very good job as well. I use whatever I have available already unless I see a good deal or think I need something more.

Celebrity
I have used coconut oil on and off and I find, something I have noticed other people agree with, that it somehow managed to dry the skin out more over the long term even when it seems like it is having a very hydrating effect at first. I am not sure about the science behind this, but I have experienced it myself and am staying away from pure coconut oil without anything else now.

I am weary of the same thing happening with shea butter, though I think that is unlikely. And I'm still after brand suggestions from people who have tried this. Experiences are welcome too.

Rosie

Yeah, shea butter is great for dry skin. It also reduces inflammation, making it great for people who have acne or other skin issues, even when it seems like it will be too greasy. Another thing you can do with shea butter is use it as a mask for dry hair. Just rub it in, let it sit and wash out. If your hair is very damaged from bleaching or hot weather, it works wonders.

The one I've been using is unrefined shea butter by Better Shea Butter. You can find that on Amazon.

I gotta admit I've never tried just shea butter on its own. I have tried creams that have shea butter in them though. It's got a nice smell to it and is definitely very hydrating, but while some things can be too hydrating and send your skin off to the oily end of the spectrum, shea butter doesn't seem to come with that particular side effect, which is great. Coconut oil making your skin dry, yeah, it can definitely do that but shea butter doesn't. It doesn't have to be on its own though. Sometimes ingredients working as a team leads to better results, you know?

I have used an online site to buy unrefined, fair trade shea butter before and the quality is really very nice.

You say you have individual dry patches on your skin all over your body. If you already know it's nothing medical as such (ringworm comes to mind for instance) then I am sure that shea butter will help you a lot, and yes, without making your skin oily.

I'd also look into lifestyle changes though, mainly examining whether you are really getting enough water on a daily basis and whether you get enough essential vitamins and minerals. A bad diet can cause skin problems, and a good diet can help eliminate them. Juicing is a great option to look into for dry skin as well.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use