I noticed people were asking about dry skin during the winter elsewhere so I thought this deserved a topic of its own. People, there is no need to resort to commercial moisturizing creams. Mother nature has this covered!

Argan oil is a great natural solution for dry skin during winter. It feels like your skin really absorbs the oil well, and your skin doesn't feel greasy after applying it. However it makes your skin very nicely moisturized, preventing flakes and pulling feelings and stuff like that. 

I use it on and off myself because it can be a little on the pricey side, but when there's a special offer, I always get a batch because it works so well. 

Anyone else try it? If not, why don't you give it a go? I can recommend it. There's nothing in there that will irritate your skin and it works amazingly well. 

Celebrity

Hey,

This topic caught my eye, as I have also used argan oil a fair bit for my extremely dry and sensitive skin, *that way all year round, not just in winter :(*. I wanted to say to any newbies, whether with argan oil or other kinds of natural oils, that they do differ from commercial day creams quite a bit. No matter how good the oil is, it will take some getting used to. It almost seems unbelievable, at first, that just a bottle of oil can meet your moisturizing needs. Your skin may feel greasy for a while, both in that it takes longer for the oil to soak in, and that it just takes a while to adjust to using the oil. 

The great thing, I have to add, is that you can also use argan oil and other oils for cleansing your face, see "the oil cleansing method". If you do give it more time rather than thinking it's not for you just because you don't like it initially, I think you will discover that after a week or so, your skin and you will grow used to your new moisturizing system. It's worth the wait!

Rosie

I'll be the voice of dissent here. Having been on this forum with a bunch of oil lovers for quite some time now, yeah, I've tried it - and postively hated it. I have the feeling that I put cooking oil on my skin, it's greasy and shiny, smells bad, doesn't absorb well, messes up my foundation, I don't know where to stop. If you want natural without actually choosing oil, I like Dr Organic products, including their Royal Jelly Day Cream, which works pretty well for dry skin. but there's plenty of others in their assortment as well. Oil doesn't work for everyone. 

Eh, I don't know why it doesn't work for you. I have good experiences with argan oil, and nothing but good, however I advise you to try jojoba oil if you haven't already because I have a feeling that is lighter in a way and absorbs more easily. It has high vitamin E content so it is also good against wrinkles.

If that still doesn't work for you but you want the natural route anyway, you could investigate making your own creams. I have done this quite a few times though I have since grown bored of it, mainly because oil works just as well for me, but all you need to do is Google how to make your own natural face cream. Then you buy the ingredients, such as bees wax, coconut oil, amulgators, etc. You do need kitchen scale and thermometer as well as a dedicated saucepan ideally, but it is quite a lot of fun and a good thing to give to your friends as well. There are things online, recipes and everything you need to buy.

Yeah, making your own creams and stuff is pretty nifty especially for the whole Martha Steward factor, I bet people who give that stuff as gifts really make the receivers happy! What I'm weary of is buying large amounts of stuff that will then presumably clog up my fridge, like vit C powder definiately needs in the fridge and other stuff too I think, plus if you are only wanting to make small quantities it just doesn't seem to make sense. The stuff will go off before you get the chance to use it all unless you're giving it away in large quantities which is nice but again doesn't make it a money saver.

I have found Argan Oil to be quite beneficial for my skin. It helps heal flaking, dry skin and restores natural sebum production to the skin, in part because of its high vitamin E content. Though it is more expensive as a natural oil, the benefits outweigh the disadvantage of the cost, to me. 

People with rosacea, acne, eczema, and prone to urticaria have all reported that their skin has improved with the use of Argan Oil, so I would recommend anyone who has not yet tried it to give their skin the chance of seeing how it works. You may be amazed by the progress your skin makes, or not, in which case you can move on to the next product. 

I was at the pharmacy buying multivitamins today, when I noticed a body lotion containing Argan oil sitting on the shelves. I was in a hurry so I didn't ask the price never mind buy it, but I have been stumbling on blogs mentioning how good this stuff is, so I am quite curious and might buy it some other time. Usually they talk about Argan oil just in its natural form, but apparently it is in body lotion as well.

My question is, will it still be as moisturizing as the pure Argan oil?

Of course not!!! How can you expect something that contains maybe 2% of argan oil to have the same effect as pure argan oil? That is just ludicrous! If you want to try argan oil, try the real thing and don't go for any cheap pretends. I am not referring to price. It might even be more expensive. But no, products that contain a drop of argan oil will not be as hydrating as just argan oil. Common sense makes this quite apparent.

Pickle