I have problematic skin on my face, blackheads on the cheeks and nose, whiteheads I think they are in the creases of the nose, pimples on my forehead very often, and puffy under the eyes as well. Basically whole lot of issues!!! I think perhaps it is the stuff I am using for my face makes my skin look worse and I am using the wrong things. I normally think throw some chemicals at it, you know? But is not working well, and now I want to know do natural and homemade stuff help and if yes, then what I need to be looking for? 

Celebrity

Hey,

"Natural and homemade stuff" is a rather broad category, isn't it? If you are asking whether cosmetic products that do not contain synthetic ingredients have the potential to help your skin then the answer is very much yes, but that does not mean that any "natural" or "homemade" product is going to be right for your skin. 

Case in point: I suffer from dry and somewhat flaky skin, which is very sensitive. There are harsh natural ingredients too. Tea tree oil, to name one example, has the potential to dry, irritate, and sting sensitive skin such as mine. It can also be of immense help to those with oily, acne-prone skin. 

Avocado oil, which is rich, is great for my dry skin. It would be terrible for people who suffer from oily skin, only adding to their problems. 

You are describing oily and acne-prone skin. I would look into witch hazel, tea tree oil, and aloe vera as products that are natural and have the potential to soothe your skin. For the puffy eyes, aloe vera would do wonders as well. Homemade exfoliators, such as those containing lemon juice, honey and sugar are another option for you: oily skin certainly benefits from regular exfoliation, like all skin types. 

Rosie

Of course natural and home-made cosmetics can make a difference to your facial skin. Like the PP, I am a little baffled by this question. Since the PP already made a good post with some specific suggestions, I'm just going to go ahead and ask you what you would like to achieve with your skin and why you are asking about natural and home-made products. If you tell us whether you might be looking for a day cream, a night cream, an exfoliator, a toner, a facial mask, or whatever else, then we could help you with some ideas. Just know that many, many people use exclusively home-made cosmetics with great success: yes, natural products can work even better than store bought products.

Thank you, that is very helpful as a place to start actually. Yes of course natural stuff covers a whole lot of different products. I meant more, like, things that are not ready made cosmetics with a single purpose by just, if you like, source ingredients or something that could also perhaps be mixed together with other stuff to create a product that you like. I just got the impression that many more people are doing this, using natural stuff and making their own products at home. I have never done anything like that before and am interested if it can make my skin better but also not sure what to expect or whether these oils really work. I will look up information about the stuff you said was good.

Dunno. Guess it depends what you use and how.

Alright then, since it's half past 12 and I can't sleep, I'm back here. I realised my other post sounded kinda short so I thought I'd give you a tip that has helped me. There's this UK brand called Dr Organic (there's a thread about it here which I started) that is all natural, organic, not tested on animals, free of all the bad chemicals and so on that's pretty bloody good. Not only do you get all the benefits of the natural, LOL, but you also don't have to go make your own cosmetics which yeah, it's a bit intimidating innit? It is for me, anyway. They got a whole aloe vera line which I think would be awesome for your skin.

Not everyone is able to create their own cosmetics from scratch, not everyone has time, and not everyone wants to do this. Thankfully, you can still benefit from Mother Nature without having to cook up your own skincare products in your kitchen! Have you perhaps heard of and/or looked into any of these natural, organic, brands?

• Ecco Bella
  • Physicians Formula Organic Wear
  • Bare Minerals
  • Pure & True Organic Beauty
  • Sephora Organic

If not, then look them up, I say! It is very true that single ingredient products such as Argan Oil and Tea Tree Oil are very well loved by a great many people and you can certainly learn more about them, but if you prefer something a little more conventional, then these brands will provide that for you along with the benefits of the all-natural.

Celebrity

Maybe you could try to make either one of these, or perhaps both?

1. Mix two tablespoons or almond oil, two tablespoons of coconut oil, and four tablespoons of aloe vera gel. As I have recently learned, coconut oil can have a drying effect on already dry skin, but it does moisturize, and should be a good choice for oily skin. Aloe vera soothes, and almond oil moisturizes very deeply. This mix contains vitamins that will really nourish your skin without making you more prone to further breakouts.

2. Mix half an avocado (yes, fresh), a little bit of lemon juice, and a single egg white. This will help pull impurities from your skin while simultaneously keeping it well moisturized. Wash off after 10 minutes or so. 

Both of these home-made products contain ingredients that are easy to find and they are both easy to make as well. This could be a low-hassle manner for you to find out whether you like the process of making your own skin care products and whether you like the feel they produce. I think both of these will work very well on the skin you mention you have. People with dry or combination skin need different products.

Rosie

I believe, natural and homemade stuff works for your skin and give better results. But it depends on only one thing what are you using how are you using for skin, from where you getting all these skin improvement remedies. You need to be insured when it's about your skin, Keep in mind whenever you want to try any remedies, collect the information and reviews about that it's the right thing for you to do. Because there so many companies just give you remedies to promote their skin care products. Beware of choosing wrong, check all reviews and comments before using!

That is true enough... reviews can play such an important role in deciding what products to get and what ones to skip. Keeping your skin type in mind is just as important. One thing may be great for one person and terrible for another, so if someone says it worked well for them it may prove to be a nightmare for you. Case in point, Argan oil which I recently tried. I have combination skin and it just did not help me at all but my friend with dry skin says it is fantastic. We were both right, but we just have different skin. Oh, and when you are talking natural products not every brand is the same either. Extra virgin coconut oil that's organic will always work better than more processed brands that are not organic.

To be honest with you, yeah, I don't wanna mess around with veggies and stuff when it comes to skin care. I just wanna buy a pretty jar that got something that smells nice and does my skin a lot of good. I'm always on the go and really don't have the time or inclination to figure that out... but I do like the thought of natural ingredients. Do you know of any other brands like Dr Organic that have natural and/or organic ingredients? This irritates the skin a lot less too. Kleem is a brand I just heard of, don't even know if it's available in the UK yet. Tips appreciated, anyways.