In the last couple of months I started peeling like a reptile! My hands and feet are all dry and scaly although I do know reptiles don't have hands and feet, LOL, I look like the creature from the black lagoon or something like that. It feels rough and painful. And it looks embarrassing as well. I've used all kinds of hand creams and even vaseline but it doesn't seem to disappear. So could this be eczema or some kind of fungal infection and what remedies should I be using to try to fix it? 

I really don't want to look like this any more. Please help me!

I have had what I think must have been eczema on my hands before. It looked really bad and was really uncomfortable as well. After asking some friends and browsing the web a bit, I started wondering whether it was being caused either by household chemicals or too much exposure to things. So I cut back on showering and handwashing, quit using alcohol based hand sanitizer, wore gloves for gleaning, and rubbed glycerin based cream on them like crazy. I wore gloves for cold weather and generally avoided exposure to extreme temperatures. It worked for me. It has never come back since. I did stop using all the cosmetics I was using and switched to more natural ones. Still don't know whether it was eczema for sure but these things worked for me.

This dry, thick and scaly skin on your hands and feet could be caused by almost anything:

• Allergies
  • (Fungal) infections
  • Athlete's foot
  • Acral peeling skin syndrome
  • An autoimmune condition such as lupus
  • Kawasaki
  • A side effect of medication you are taking
  • Psoriasis
  • Seborrheic dermatitis (a kind of dandruff)

With the help of the internet, you can rule some conditions in or out quite effectively. However, the internet should never represent a substitute for real medical advice. Yes, this is the predictable bit where I tell you that you need to see a doctor if you want a proper diagnosis, which will then allow you to get proper treatment.

In my opinion, no matter what the exact nature of your skin problems on your hands and feet, you can't go wrong with panthenol ointment. This is now used in general cosmetics more and more but you can just go to the pharmacy and buy a tube, it's not too expensive. Just throw that on a few times a day and you'll probably see things getting better real fast. Panthenol is easily absorbed by your skin, and used for wound healing, scar fading and eczema so yeah, that is the right answer for you I think. If that doesn't work then see a doctor.

Celebrity

I am wondering if you have at all experimented with coconut butter, shea butter and cocoa butter. These natural products contain lots of healthy fats and many people with severely dry and flaky skin benefit from these butters a lot, especially on their hands and feet, but also around the knee and elbow areas. You could add in just a little drop of tea tree, which as antibacterial and antifungal action. Not too much, however, as that would further dry your skin. Tea tree does relieve itching as well. 

Good luck! Having dry skin can be a royal pain in the behind!

Rosie

If it's really eczema then don't forget to take dietary factors into account!!! Have you heard of the GAPS diet? If not, go look it up. It's tricky to maintain but worth it if your eczema is really bad. Also try fermented cod liver oil as a daily supplement. Some people find that it clears their eczema up really quickly. Probiotics, too, are a dietary approach that will help you send eczema packing. Do your research, and there are plenty of remedies that are not creams with chemicals. Coconut oil is a good natural cream by the way.