I started having these intense Deja Vu episodes in my twenties. They grew progressively more intense and more frequent over the next twenty years. By the time I was 43, the episodes happened least once a week...sometimes two or three times each day. The total episode lasts no more than 45 seconds or so. The episode starts with a very distinct feeling of memory...and I struggle to remember what it is I'm thinking of---a dream? something that really happened? What??? As this memory feeling is happening, I get an increasing sense of fear. The neurologist calls this "epigastric rising"...like a rising sense of fear in your stomach. Then it settles down, and I can't remember what I was trying to remember, and I feel scared and shakey, and I feel like I never want to experience this sort of thing again.

VERY IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE: I had a Deja Vu at age 43 while driving, just prior to a full-blown seizure. Thank God that I was on a dirt road, with no other cars around. I hit a tree, totalling my brand new mini-van. I was taken to the hospital and after one more seizure and many tests over the next 24 hours, I was diagnosed with "Mesial Temporal Sclerosis"---a build up of scar tissue, likely due to a forceps delivery when born. This is often due to other minor head injuries, too.

I take medication daily, which has eliminated the Deja Vu episodes, and I've never had another seizure.

Please have these episodes checked with a neurologist, preferably at a large research / teaching hospital system.

I am so glad I found this sight. I have been experiencing these exact symptons for a few months, sometimes a few times a day. I just had an episode 20 mins ago, which affected me so badly I had to walk away from my 2 year old daughter, and now have a roaring headache. I have tried to explain this to my husband and I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy. I was starting to think so too, I thought I was imagining the panic attacks that seem to happen at the same time as the deja vu, didn't think I would actually find any information on this, so glad I'm not alone. What isn't good is there seems to be nothing to do about it. I have been experiencing alot of stress lately and not sleeping too well. Is this the only reason this is happening. I did find some information before also that mentioned partial seizures and epilepsy. That's scary. And is there actually any doctor's that will take this seriously, even as anxiety attacks?

I have just started getting these nightmarish deja vu episodes for the first time today. It scares me because i had about ten episodes just last night that woke me up, and were followed by a horrible stomach ache. I had three during the day that left me really dizzy and with the horrible stomach ache. no one else here seems to not had so many in one day, specially there first day. I was taken off the anti-depressant Lexapro, steadily, this past November, and I suffer from a severe depression that is pretty under control right now. Is this some kind of problem that could be caused by withdrawal or depression? Or is it just an anxiety attack? Any feed back is highly appreciated. ****

**edited by moderator**

yeah i have this too, only in the mornings, usually when ive got sh*t on my mind. i smoke a lot of weed too, maybe this makes it worse. seemed to start when i met this b***h, she triggered it all. havent seen her for over 2 months, still causes me to vomit and deja vu.

I've experienced this exact same thing, and the first time I had it I absolutely FREAKED. It was my first time trying marijuana and after I smoked I thought my friends were playing a joke on me because everything they said or did seemed like they had done it already and were doing it to mess with me. Then I realized that it was just me, and that made me think I was going crazy. The effects lasted probably about 2 days and then I tried marijuana again to see if it would be better and I got the same thing. Ever since whenever I smoke I get severe cases of deja vu and everyone I've talked to about it just gives me a blank stare or laughs at me. I don't want to go to the doctor because he'll just tell me to not use recreational drugs. Does anybody know anything that they do or any medications they take to alleviate this horrible experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Almost exactly the same thing here. I'd describe the deja vu as loops though.

INTERESTING INFORMATION:

It's been a while since I've replied to this topic, but I feel like this needs to be said: I have two younger brothers, age 13 and 14. Last night in his bedroom, the younger of the two fell to his knees, hovered over the ground in a daze, and eventually sat completely down. The rest of my family wasn't really sure what was happening, but i walked away with a feeling that maybe he was experiencing the same thing i have been since i was little. I have described my experiences in past posts (for those of you reading this before the other 2 pages). This morning, my mom called me at school saying that they were heading to the neurologist because he did in fact describe his experience the same way i have described mine (he has never known about my episodes). I found this interesting and thought i should let others know that in my case, this seems to be genetic. With my brother and I, we share many of the same psychological disorders and such, but his seem to develop a few years after mine would have at his age, including depression, ocd, now this, and many other things. Just thought i would let you all know.... it might be genetic in your cases too. good luck.

Wow, hi. I'm a 17yo boy and I just woke up with a feeling of deja vu. I've been getting these since I was 12-going-on-13. I remember my first experience, it was horrible. But reading all of these makes me feel a whole lot better 'cause all this time, I never really knew how to explain it when it would happen and I always felt like the only one.

Just a question, though, when you all get this, does it become difficult for any of you to remember things that just happened recently (like your entire day before the episode) during your episode? When I get mine, I try to remember, at least, my whole day leading up to me getting my attack and it's a little more difficult than when I'm not in an episode.

But anyway, thank you. Like I said, I just woke up and I had to Google this ASAP.

I have similar expierences. My "episodes" start off when I'm thinking about something. All of a sudden, I will get the deja-vu like symptoms followed by an anxiety attack. Once the attack is over, I have trouble recalling what the deja-vu was about or what it was I was thinking about. I was taking Xanax, but I am going to change to Lorazepam at 3x a day. I will post again in a few weeks to let you know my progress.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

In response to both guests, im pretty sure whatever is wrong has to do with the temporal lobes (having to do partly with memory). Yes my memory is shot after a few episodes over a period of days.

Something i noticed today: sometimes i will have just normal deja-vu. but when i do, its deja-vu of a time when i had a deja-vu episode. for example, i was at a store with my mom today talking to a friend we ran into. as we were standing there, i got normal deja-vu to the point where i could predict what everyone was going to say and i could remember a time when we had all had this same encounter before, but in my memory of this encounter, i had an episode, so of course im starting to freak out a little bit because i was SURE that it would turn into an episode at any second. i told everyone to stop talking and i never ended up having an episode.

also, sometimes i have a few days where i always feel like an episode is imminent even if i never have one, but then it will go away for weeks or even months.

you're not alone

oh by the way, im emily209. for some reason, that account is all screwed up.

It seems we all have carbon copy symptoms.
So many people -but no name for this condition?
-by the way, does anyone else find it 90% bad, ...but 10% ...fun?

Also, could this be a partial epileptic seizure? -but without the jerking?

Partial seizures (formerly known as focal seizures) with elementary symptomology are often referred to a simple partial. During this type of seizure the patient can experience a range of strange or unusual sensations including sudden, jerky movements of one body part, distortions in hearing or seeing, stomach discomfort, or a sudden sense of fear. Consciousness is not impaired. If another seizure type follows, these sensations may be referred to as an "aura".
ca.geocities.com/epilepsy911/faq.html

Very similar symptoms I'm reading here.

I also had smoked some marijuana and ended up with a pretty bad panic attack. A few weeks later these very intense de ja vu espisodes started for me. Sometimes 5-6 times a day, sometimes once every other day.

Sometimes the same feelings keep looping when it hits...then a new loop of feelings might begin, or it might be different everytime.

I try to tell my girlfriend what is going through my mind while it's happening (very difficult) but nothing I ever say makes sense even though it makes complete sense as I'm thinking it. Once the episode is over...I remember almost nothing of what I was thinking or feeling, very rarely even the stuff I tell my girlfriend.

I do notice these feelings increase with my stress.

Good luck everyone.
*******

**edited by moderator**emails not allowed**

OK,

I really hope this helps because I have the exact same symptoms as all of you, except I am very clear about what I am remembering. I have had it going on for about 5 years, maybe a few times a year, lately a bit more often, but for me it isn't random. It happens precisely when I get the deja vu and I clearly, and I mean clearly, remember that I have dreamed about whatever I am seeing. The dream will flash through my head and I will try to grasp it, but it will then vanish. I usually push it away as well because I get the exact same symptoms: light-headedness, nausea, and I have to sit down or take a deep breath to keep from fainting. Like many of you I can never remember what triggered the deja vu, only that I had the feeling that it came from a dream. Today I went to the library and was reading a book and I looked up from reading and realized that I had been there in a dream. The symptoms started, but I then remembered the whole dream and I really wanted to finish remembering it because it was so interesting. The next thing I know I am waking up from fainting. But I REMEMBERED THE DREAM!!! This was the first time that I could remember at least a few details afterwards. I am not convinced that this is anxiety or a medical condition. This happens only when I have clearly had a dream of the conditions around me. Anyone else have a more dream focused experience?

wow, ive been searching for a good description of what ive been experiencing and dddxdave, yours is almost perfect. This has only hapened twice so far, the first time about a week and 1/2 ago. Both times, the people and situation triggered very sudden and intense deja vu of things i had dreamed recently. The first time, i remember being so shocked by the similarity between what was hapening and my dream (although i cant remember any of it) that i had what i guess was a panic attack - the breathe was knocked out of me, i got dizzy and had to lay down, i couldnt breathe well, and this lasted about 30 minutes, but felt like 5. The second time was the same feeling of similarity but instead of feeling like i couldnt breathe, i got incredibly nauseous and i thought i would throw up.

Over the past year (or past couple months, i dont know) ive had increased deja vu of things i'd dreamed. I have simple/complex partial siezures, but i rarely have them anymore and these episodes are nothing like siezures i've had.

Does anyone have any idea what these episodes might be, besides seizures? I would like to talk to a doctor about them but i'm afraid it'll be misdiagnosed as new seizures and i really can't afford to have my license taken away for 6 months. =(