Mine started about 6 months ago. We'll back up a bit...

When I was in my early 20's, three days wired. Stood up to smoke outside and had a seizure. Never had one before, never had one again. No drugs, clean for 25 years.

About 6 months ago, I lost interest in my high paying high stress job and quit. Just walked out. I am 45 years old, female, mother of two gorwn sons and one 9 year old daughter.

About a week after I quit my job, I was doing a phone interview for a position in another state. While the HR person was telling me about the needs of the company, I suddenly had this overwelming feeling of Deje Vu. As it progreesed, I too felt I was completely alone and very small. I could still hear the lady speaking but could not understand what she was saying. About 5 to 7 seconds into it, it begain to fade and the I felt this warm (almost electric) feeling come from my hips and slowly rise up my body to the top of my head. Ten seconds now... I am feeling light headed, very hot and sweaty and almost breathless. I begin to refocus on the lady that is speaking but it is very hard to uncross the brain wires to understand. After the phone call (another ten minutes), I am feeling so weak and tired that I lay down for a half an hour.

Later looking back at the 'attack', I find I have no memory of the deje vu. I mean I don't remember what I saw during it, no lost memory, nothing.

Since then, I have them two to three times a day (sometimes while driving). I can feel them coming on and will fight tooth and nail to try to stop it. It works sometimes, other times I have no control.

Here are the things I can recal about the feeling. "the name 'Roxy'. (I know noone and never have known anyone with this name). I can see a Monoply board game. And, A 2D landscape. That's it!! The minute I come out of it, I have no idea what I just saw.

Some of these attacks are so bad, I have to lie down for a couple of hours. The bad part is that there is a residual feeling long after it goes away.

I too will get headaches in my right temple.

And, sometimes I can go a week without having it happen.

I have no insurance and am scared to death I am having sezuires.

Glad I found this site. Wish a doctor would join the disscussion.

I don't feel so crazy anymore .. it's so odd though. These sudden/scary and very intense feelings of "deja vu" are starting to make me wonder if it's more then just stress. They come, sometimes 5-6 times day, as said above, and other days they don't occur at all.

The feeling is almost "cool" ..because it's so powerful and uncontrollable, but they're also very scary. When the deja vu passes, I'm left feeling very nauseated, dizzy and strange. Who do I talk to about this? My primay care doctor just kind of laughed and said she never heard of this.

I like it, then again it scares the hell out of me..

It's relieving (but unfortunate also) that so many others are having very similar symptoms to mine.

I am a 30-year old male and began having these intense "deja vu" attacks in early January. I had them in back-to-back days, but the first one was by far more violent. I was sitting in front of the computer and suddenly got this intense fear from out of nowhere, then the deja vu feeling, dizziness, numbness, shaking, muscles all starting to tense at once, dry mouth, breathlessness, disorientation and wildly racing heart (the racing heart didn't start however until about 30 seconds after the attack began). I was on 0.5 mg Klonopin for anxiety and took another 0.5 mg which seemed to calm me down. The whole episode lasted only about 2 minutes or so, but it took me nearly an hour to calm down, and the whole thing left me shaky, tired and confused. I subsequently had a few more attacks while at work, and just yesterday I had another one (which was moderate in intensity but very scary because it hadn't happened in awhile) again while sitting at the computer.

These "attacks" were diagnosed as panic attacks, but as an ADD sufferer and having read Dr. Amen's books, I also apparently have problems in the temporal lobe similar to temporal lobe epilepsy. I wonder if these deja vu episodes or attacks are some type of panic attack (which I've had before and are symptomatically similar but not exactly like these attacks), or whether I might be having some type of partial seizures.

I have no history (at least not that I know of) of epilepsy or seizure disorders, and have had multiple EKG's, EEG's, cardiac stress tests and a CT scan, all of which were negative. One of the EEG's, however, indicated that I had a heightened response to flashing (strobe) lights, so I wonder if the computer screen may be triggering abnormal brain activity that results in these distressing symptoms.

Like most of the rest of the posters in this thread, these episodes are difficult to explain, but are very real, and we can only speculate on what might be going on.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with experiences of very overwhelming and unpleasant deja vu. In the past, I always found my occasional deja vu experiences pleasant and curious. But in the last three months I've had a half dozen really unpleasant, overwhelming and thankfully brief experiences. These start with the deja vu sense, which has me seeking some unpleasant memory of something I need to solve. I also feel as if something has just pushed all of the air and most of my life out of me. This is all within a split second. I feel an immediate need to sit or lie down. I am a nurse working in a very supportive environment, and I was in the middle of a typical and satisfying work day when this first occurred. Thinking it was a "normal" fainting episode, I sat down and put my head between my knees. My blood pressure, pulse, temperature and blood sugar were immediately checked by my colleagues, and everything was NORMAL. This always happens in the middle of something very ordinary, and not related to drug use or unusual stress. The latest was yesterday, walking my dog on the dog run, when I sat down and clung to the green grass and insisted how lovely the day was. I am totally rational and coherent during these episodes, even though they feel like death. It's scary, even though I'm not really afraid of death.

When I read your reply, I was almost in a state of shock. Although I am 21, and have never had a seizure in my life. What you said about your "DEJA VU" feelings, was almost exact to what I experience when this occurs.

You say you see a monoply board and 2D dimensions? I don't recall the name "ROXY", but I do see visions of my husbands ""cousin"", whom I never seen before and I'm almost sure does not exsist, it's like this person that's always there. But the monoply board, OMG.. I THOUGHT I WAS INSANE .. AHAHHAHA .. what is this CRAZY state of mind we are experiencing? I have insurance, but NO doctor can tell me what this feeling is!

I really wish a doctor could respond and just tell us we're not crazy, we were just hypnotized by a monoply board as children. LOL, just kidding .. but really ... what is this, and why are we visualizing childhood board games?!?!

HELP!!!!

I have had recent episodes this past week that I would describe as severe anxiety accompanied by flashes from a recent dream. I also had these same episodes about a year and a half ago. I woke up this morning experiencing another episode. I would describe it as flashes from a dream that you can't quite put together, accompanied w/ sweats, a feeling of fear, weak knees and an upset stomach. These flashes feel familiar as if you had experience them in dream at some point. I have shared these concerns with others an no one had experienced these same symptoms. This morning I can not describe how refreshing it is to know others have had these same issues. I read a description from dddxdave that hit the nail on the head! I am trying to connect my diet ,medications taken, or some connection as to why they why these dreamlike flashes are back once again. For those of you who have had these same type of attacks is your diet restricted in any way. Last year I was about to seek medical help when I first experienced such an episode. I truly though I was mentally ill. At the time I had just began a very strict low sugar/ low carb diet,I also was consuming a diet suppressant. I just began a similar diet could this be the connection ? Any thoughts?

I dont know if this will help at all but u may want to consider looking into yourmental health. Rather than a chemical or biological reason it colud POSSIBLY be mental. My byfriend has 'depression with psychotic episodes' and has 'attacks' every year or so. The first symptoms are him feeling dazed, not being able to concentrate, a lack of grip on time and reality and, most prominantly extreme feelings of deja vu!
I seriously suggest getting your mental helth assessed.

Very best of luck to you all

I dont know if this will help u lot on this forum at all but u may want to consider looking into your mental health. Rather than a chemical or biological reason (which it can be, dont rule it out!) it colud POSSIBLY be mental. My byfriend has 'depression with psychotic episodes' and has 'attacks' every year or so. The first symptoms are him feeling dazed, not being able to concentrate, a lack of grip on time and reality and, most prominantly extreme feelings of deja vu, as u describe!

Very best of luck to you all

I got a second opinion, since I moved and switched doctors. My previous doctors' diagnoses were panic disorder. However, my current doc thinks I may be having temporal lobe seizures (of the simple partial type, since there is no loss of consciousness) and is referring me to a neurologist to be evaluated for temporal lobe epilepsy, and also placed me on an anticonvulsant and mood stabilizer (Epitol/Tegratol - Carbamazepine is the generic). These so-called attacks people are experiencing may actually be mini seizures, and if your doctors don't think so, I would ask for a referral to a neurologist for another opinion.

It's amazing, however, how common these symptoms seem to be, reading all of these posts. If supposedly only about 1% of the human population has diagnosed epilepsy, I wonder how much of it goes undiagnosed due to doctors and psychiatrists writing these "episodes" or "attacks" off to anxiety or panic attacks (and understandably so - there are a lot of overlapping symptoms of anxiety/panic and temporal lobe/simple partial seizures).

I used to get deja vu as a kid all of the time and they used to leave me feeling many different things, but most of the time it was anxiety. There's a big diffference these days though. I used to get a deja vu and get the distinct feeling that i had dreamt it in my sleep. Now when i get them i feel like i dreamt them while i was still awake and concious. This difference has made me look at it a very different way.
Whenever i got the distinct feeling a certain event was going to take place i didn't used to believe in it and at the risk of losing my sanity i didn't want to. Recently i have watched as many of the events that seemed to come to me in the form of a dream during my waking state have taken place, and they often come back with the "concious" recollection of the ideas that i had when i first got the notion of them (so before they acctually happened). I have been learning a lot about how to distinguish what is really taking place from my imagination that seemed to run wild before and after i recalled them. Since then my fears and anxiety that i had have decreased to pretty much nothing, and i most often have good feelings associated with them. Trying to understand why i get them and why so many other people get them is beyond me but i do know that my awareness of them has peeked to a much higher level and i get them far more often. Sometimes people will tell me about experiences they have had that will be EXACTLY like the things i dreamt about. Over the past year i have adopted a belief in determinism and a beliefe that people are often subconciously aware of certain events in thier future but rarely aware of them at a concious level.
deja vu isn't going to hurt you unless you want it to.

I've searched the internet for this exact phenomenon before and was never able to find anything until today. I thought I was the only one who got something like this, although my mom also gets something similar. I've had this feeling twice today for the first time in a while, and it prompted me to search again.

It's hard to even describe the feeling - something will trigger Deja Vu and I'll clearly remember seeing or doing something before. It's kind of like a combination of something I may have seen before or a dream I may have had - it's hard to tell which. Then I'll go into a kind of haze where I always remember the same things... it's like a series of images flashes through my head, all part of the deja vu. Then I get really cold (like the chills) and a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's a feeling of intense anxiety, like something very bad is about to happen. Then everything I'm nervous or worried about in real life comes rushing to me, which makes the anxiety even worse. It actually gives me a stomachache. Then after a minute or two, it's gone.

I know that sounds completely insane, but I've never done drugs or had any neurological or mental problems. It's definitely a very weird feeling...!

Wow, am I ever relieved. I thought I was the only one; I assumed I was crazy, haha.

Well, I'm a 16 year old female and up until May of this year I had never experienced anything of the sort. I have been reading all types of symptoms and conclusions online for the last 2 hours and tried to compare my feelings to each one. I have tried marijuana a couple of times, and I assumed that was the cause. But, personally I don't think so because I've only smoked a handful of times, and the first time I had gotten it I didn't smoke.

The first time I got it was around May 2008. I was touching up my makeup in the bathroom mirror at school and I felt depersonalized, confused, and almost in a trance-like state. My mind went blank and I felt an extreme sense of deju vu unlike any other experience I have ever felt. I calmed myself down but was still a little disoriented afterward. I hadn't gotten it for awhile after and assumed it was a 1 time thing, when I then started getting the feeling about once or twice a month. I would sort of freeze in my spot, and even while talking to someone I would try to hold down the conversation and play it off. I'd notice I was repeating my sentences and talking nonsense when in a conversation, but the person I was talking to wouldn't notice much, I'd just look 'flustured' to them. I thought I was just crazy.

Over the summertime I believe I had gotten it once, and it wasn't until this past month that I started getting it like crazy. Just this week I've experienced the feeling 2 or more times a day. I believe anxiety or lack of sleep could possibly be the trigger to these 'partial seizures' or whatever they seem to be. I can't remember all the times I got them and I certainly can't remember what I was trying to recall during a blank-out, or 'session' as I like to call them, but I believe either lack of sleep or stress could be possible in all situations. Just last week I had a mental breakdown due to a family circumstance and I cried for 4 hours straight and felt quite depressed.

Personally, I'm a very happy, lighthearted and easygoing person. That breakdown was a one-time situation, but got me thinking. After reading that depression could be a cause I started thinking- could I be depressed? I think the experience is actually triggered by a subconscious feeling. We may feel perfectly fine, or not feel stressed but there could be something on our minds which we put aside that subconsciously affects us.

Yesterday, I was at school again and I experienced one while talking to a friend. I was worried that another friend was upset with me and that could have caused the session to occur. It is very frustrating because I cannot explain it to my mom and even she's becoming a little frustrated. Another bizarre thing is that when I talk about it, or think about it, I cry. I am well aware that I experience these trance-like states, and I have accepted it, I wouldn't consider myself depressed about it. I normally don't cry, like I've mentioned before, I'm a very happy person. But, after trying to explain it to my dad just before I started tearing up and getting defensive. I laughed afterward and told him I had no idea why I was crying, but he just told me crying wouldn't help and I needed to learn to get my head around it.

Another conclusion is a physic connection. My dad has frequent physic dreams and premonitions but he puts them aside and does his best to ignore them. I've tried and about an hour ago, after glaring into the computer screen I experience a mini-'session' I ignored it and it seemed to be successful. Now, I don't know how to properly describe it, or diagnose it but I know for sure that I have no intention of being medicated. I do not believe that meds will help me at all, and I think I should get to the root of the situation instead of distancing myself from it. My greatest fear though is when I start doing my driving lessons and when I spar at my Muay Thai class. It can be very dangerous so I need to learn how to control it.

Can anyone make these similar connections?

i'm 25 years old and for almost 1 week im living in a never ending deja vu nightmare.. from the second i wake up (when i can sleep ofc), to the second i go back to sleep.

any sound , any tought of mine, any person, anything, is exactly how it supposed to be, and its VERY hard to collect that much toughts in my head, im personally amazed how i could stay and seem normal to the ppl around me until now.

90% of a day, my head hurts like hell, and my ears feel like they are absorbing ANYTHING that is in my hearing radius. and i cant control it, i just collect everything i hear, for example if i cough, while the one im speaking with says the word "monitor" and 1 unknown person at 5 feet away says the word "cable" , i feel they are all connected and that i lived, dreamed, or felt it in another life ( it sounds stupid ) , and yes i am aware that it is impossible, its just very hard to explain, im seeing a doctor that is trying to purify me but if he fails im scared that i will go insane and end up dead or in a hospital.

i just want it to end, thats it.

wow, i didnt expect to find this...i smoked a substance used for "communicating with the spirits" called salvia divinorum. it is a legal substance and a member of the mint family, and does no damage that i could find in any research on it. anyway, when i tried it i saw scenarios that turned out to be my future,but i did not realize it until i came upon the locations of the "vision",when i did, i experienced the deja vu feeling that many of you have described, and since then it continues to happen occasionally..it sometimes makes me sick and only goes away when i stop thinking about the subject of my deja vu, unfortunately, after that i cant remember what it was about, and when i tried to keep thinking about it once, i threw up..
why the hell would thinking about something make you sick?

Like everyone on here, I thought I was the only one with this going on. I'm 47 and it has been going on for about 10 years, several times a year. One of you said you won't die from deja vu - its true but it is very curious and sometimes the affects can kill you, i.e. driving etc.

I don't have much of a drug history and I don't associate it with anyone or anything, however, it did seem to start after a period of counseling.

Everyone has told their story... has anyone heard from a doc about what causes this?