Hello everyone

Okay so here it is, I have a nipple that now and then seems to get itchy, usually when I squeeze it, I get a white pus type thing come out of it. Now I'm a 23 year old female, never had kids, I'm on the depo shot so there is no way I'm pregnant right now. It seems to happen more in the left nip then in the right, I get it in the right as well but not all the time. I seem to get it every couple months. It doesn't leave my bras or shirts wet, I have no discolouration at all and no rough skin or rashes around it.

A few years ago I had my nipples pierced, I thought maybe that is what's causing it but I'm not sure, I haven't talked to my Dr about it as I don't have a family Dr. I moved from my home town about a year ago, but actually it feels like when you have a irritated eating and you get a itchy sensation and a bit of discharge comes out. Pretty much how it feels.

So I hope someone can give some idea to what it is, I checked for lumps so I'm hoping it has nothing to do with breastcancer.  

Hi JessaMoose

Yes, it is possible to lactate when you are not pregnant, and there are a great many causes.

Lots of drugs, including Depo-Provera, may occasionally lead to a milky discharge from the nipple. The technical name for this phenomenon is galactorrhoea.

If you were having regular periods before starting the Depo injections, it is not at all likely that there is anything for you to be concerned about.

The milk production usually coincides with a cessation of periods.

Since there are other reasons for developing this symptom, do mention it to your family planning professional.

Very rarely, there might be stimulation of the breast tissue by over-activity of the pituitary gland, the adrenal glands or the thyroid.

It may be wise to discuss this in detail so that a decision can be made whether to run some blood tests to assess your hormone levels while on Depo-Provera, or whether to give you an alternative contraceptive to allow the galactorrhoea to subside.

Meanwhile stop squeezing your breasts, you may be stimulating it more to lactate