My daughter is 15 months old and for several weeks I have noticed that she has a hard mass under one of her nipples. I'm trying not to overreact, but am worried that this could be an indication of something else. My grandmother has previously made comments that her nipples aren't flat like most children. They do look similar to when a young girl begins to develop breasts, but I assumed it was from the hormones that I was passing to her in my breastmilk. I thought her nipples would flatten out as her nursing has decreased but they never have and now I can feel a hard mass under the nipple and it hasn't gone away. She is otherwise healthy and happy but I am concerned. What could this be?
Thank you

Did you ever get an answer to your question? Our baby has the same thing, and we are planning to call our pediatrician on Monday.

**edited by moderator**

Thanks,

I just came across this post and saw that there weren't any responses. Unfortunately, I just noticed the same thing in my 4-month old daughter. She has a hard round mass under her right nipple and the nipple looks a little different in color, almost bruised, and it doesn't seem totally flat like her left nipple. She is a breastfed baby, although we are supplementing with formula. I'm wondering if it could be the hormones in my breastmilk. She goes to her pedi. on Friday for her 4-month check up so I will ask him. Hopefully it is nothing!

Just wondering if anyone received any answers to the hard mass under your daughters breast...my daughter has the same and my doctor says it is common for girls to have this...anyone have a different answer. Thanks.

Any answers out there? My daughter has the same thing and I am worried...

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem with my 8 month old daughter. Has anyone received a response regarding this?
If not, what did your ped/dr say about it - i have noticed that a few of you mentioned you has an appt.
I have made an appt today so i will update you all on what i am told.....hopefully nothing is wrong

Hello! I found a hard mass under my six month old's right nipple. Her Dr. said not to worry, but to keep an eye on it. I am still worried!! Has anyone heard anything?

We just found a lump under my baby's left nipple. My baby is 7 months old. We are really concerned because in addition to having a hard mass under her nipple, it is white in color, there is no redness or infection though. We are calling her pediatrician tomorrow.

I've just discovered a mass under my 8mos daughter nipple, like everyone else. Does anybody know what this is. I do have an appointment tomorrow, but I'm going nuts waiting!! She is also breastfed and supplemented with formula...and I'm completely healthy (no smoking, drinking or even take tylenol etc)

follow link:

http://www.kidshealth.com/parent/pregnancy_newborn/pregnancy/newborn_variations.html

SCROLL DOWN TO "CHEST" = they mention estrogen, notice all our infants are female. but they hav been found in males as well.

follow link:

http://www.eapsa.org/parents/resources/breast_disorders.cfm

"Breast Cancer in Children:
Breast Cancer is unusual in a young girl and most lumps or masses that are seen will be benign (non-cancerous). As mentioned earlier less than 0.1% of all breast cancer occurs in children. "

there's some good news! :-D

these are the best articles i could find

PLEASE TELL WHETHER THIS WAS USEFUL OR NOT! (buttons below)

My 2 year old little girls nipple is white on the tip and always hard. It's getting bigger and you can see it sticking out through her shirts. Her pediatrician said it was nothing and it would go away during puberty. I'm going to take her with me to my next OB/GYN appt. to have him look at it. At the rate it's growing I'll have to put her in bras at a very young age so you can't see it through her shirts. She is constantly tugging on it and I know she'll be self conscious about it because people are always asking me what it is.

My 1 month old son has a large mass under his right nipple as well. He's going to the doctor tomorrow- I'm very worried!

Has anyone received a better answer than "it's nothing and will go away eventually"? %-)

My 18 month old girl also has this on her left nipple. I noticed it when she was born but assumed it was hormonal and would pop or heal or reabsorb or something like that. Now it seems to be bigger or more pronounced and is hard. Maybe that's because she has discovered it and is always picking at it when her shirt is off or she is in the bathtub.

She will be going to the pediatrician soon for her 18 month check up and I'm going to ask about it then. I'll post an update after her appointment.

I just noticed the same thing in my 6 month old daughter. I took her to the doctor but he told me it was common and to just keep an eye on it. He said it was most possible hormonal.

my daughter is 3 months 3 weeks old and just noticed she has them under both breast. she is not breast fed. and now im concerned