Hi, I am 18, sexually active (but not for several months now), 100% not pregnant, and on birth control which causes me to not have periods.  One of my nipples has been sore and stiff for several days now, and I can't figure out why.  I live in a really warm, humid environment, so I know theyre not dry or cracking.  Every once in a while, it will tickle or itch a little bit, but I wouldn't say itchyness was a constant symptom.  I wear sports bras that fit me really well and I'm pretty lazy so I don't think it would be irritated from chafing.  Plus, its just one nip thats bothering me.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

Health Guru
Hi guest. Do you do breast examination on a regular basis?

every once in a while, yes. not necessarily on a regular basis, but I have not noticed any difference lately

Health Guru
Is it a sore feeling all the time or only when touched or in contact with clothing and it's not painful when pressed or anything?

its off and on randomly throughout the day. a lot of times i'll just be sitting on the couch and it will start hurting

Health Guru
Hurt as in sharp pain like stabbing pain or just sore type of pain and I take it on pain if you squeeze or press round the nipple or around it?

its more of a sore type of pain. it doesnt really hurt any more than usual if im touching it or not, unless ofcourse if i squeeze too hard by accident

Health Guru
Do you notice any other changes to that nipple and areola like redness or rash or discharge from it?
What brand of birth control are you on and how long have you been taking them?

i havent noticed any major difference, no. its the same color, its just erect almost always even when the other one is not. i'm on depo provera and i've been taking it for about 3 years now. never had any problems with it :)

Health Guru
Could it be something like a bag strap rubbing it or a safety belt in a car rubbing it without you realising?

i mean thats totally possible, but i cant think of anything that ever really touches it besides my clothes. do you think stress or allergies could cause something totally weird like that? it hasnt bothered me since i've been out of town for a couple days so far

Health Guru
It could have been or it could of been just a slight hormonal imbalance that caused it same as the rubbing of a bag strap without you realising, nipples can be highly sensitive to changes even a change in fabric type can cause irritation to them. :)

cool thanks! :) it hasnt bothered me in several days so i'm not too worried about it