I have been suffering from chronic urinary infection for last 3 years. I avoid using antibiotics more than twice a year. I drink lots of fluids and take herbal remedies, but can’t prevent reactivation of infection. Since I’ve been in relationship with my new boyfriend this is the first time for me to develop acute UTI again. Now, I’m worried about could my partner get my uti? I use birth control pills and we do not use condom. We both prefer it that way. Should I suggest him to switch on condom?

Urine infection is not sexually transmitted. Intercourse may be a trigger for reactivation of uti. It is recommended to avoid having sex until after you have recovered. Did you know that condoms with spermicides may also lead to development of uti? I guess that you should not just live with chronic infection. You should take proper antibiotic that is ordered according to antibiogram.

I have had the same issue for 4 years. I just found out through a urine culture that I have the bacteria Enterococcus faecalis, which is very resistant to most antibiotics and hard to kill. I know utis are not passed, but the bacteria can be causing it to be passed back and forth. I have read that both partners should be treated with antibiotics for it to go away for good. Many doctors don't treat both partners, but I trust the advice of the people that have had the problem rather than the ones who treat it. I am trying to get antibiotics for my husband to see if we can put an end to this. Good luck to you!