I'm currently 18 and have recently been struggling with a very annoying problem thats preventing me from getting more than 5 hours of sleep at a time. I find myself waking up with a very uncomfortable feeling in my head thats kinda hard to explain. It seems like my head feels very numb and almost about to explode, which is very disturbing. This is almost always accompanied by a weird feeling in my heart, and I always seem to get the idea my heart is occasinally skipping a beat, though I can't really confirm whether it is. I also find it kinda difficult to breath as well when this happens.

This only occurs after sleeping.

Where in your head does it hurt?

Do you have high blood pressure?

Does this occur right when you wake up and or does it seem to wake you up out of sleep?

It seems to hurt in the front area on the right side.

My blood pressure was fine last time I had it checked, about 2 months ago.

I'm pretty sure its waking me up..

I've did some research and now I'm thinking it may be because I'm experiencing low blood pressure when I sleep, which is causing my brain to be deprived of oxygen.

I think I should also mention that I use to smoke marijuana on a daily basis and never felt this problem while doing that, but recently I decided to stop smoking and thats when this problem started to occur. This seems to re-enforce the conclusion that its low blood pressure causing it, since marijuana increases blood pressure, which would explain why i never had the problem while smoking. Futhermore, I've also been working out a lot more than I ever use to and people who are athletic tend to experience low blood pressure at times (or so i've heard from wikipedia). But this is all speculation and I'm not a professional or really experienced in medical matters so I have a lot doubt to these ideas. Also would lack of Oxygen really cause you to feel as if your brain is on the verge of exploding? Perhaps enough deprivation of it would... (Ugh I'm talking a lot due to lack of sleep).

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Hypoxia (lack of oxygen) has been suggested as a cause of headaches. Patients with sleep apnea also experience headaches, but hypoxia has not been shown to be a cause in such patients. So we are not quite sure if lack of oxygen would create a headache.

Hypotension (low blood pressure) is not usually the direct cause of a headache. Arterial pressure induces headaches. The symptoms of "headache" are often very generalized and need to be properly evaluate by a doctor.

Over the next couple days test your blood pressure when you wake up. If it is consistently hypotensive (low) then consult your doctor.

You should also drink plenty of water. Hydration is often an overlooked treatment for headaches.

Thanks for the advice/knowledge.

I'll be sure to try what you suggested.

marijuana affects your brain since you've stopped..maybe your brain has not adjusted itself yet..for example..alcohol sedates your brain in a sense..so alcoholics when they suddenly stop drinking can experience seizures..I know this because my father is an alcholic and the neurologist said when your brain is constantly sedated...then SUDDENLY excited..the brain will try to readjust and cause a seizure...maybe the opposite happens when coming off of marijuana..

also..check your blood pressure lying dow..sitting up, and then standing..see if it changes..it's called orthostatic blood pressures..

of course call your doctor either way..and don't be embarrassed about discussing the drug use..that's VERY important for them to know to make a proper diagnosis...

Good luck

My son went through almost three years of random symptoms and episodes that sound like some of the things you are explaining. His problem ended up being an adrenal deficiency which affects your heart, brain, lungs and all parts of your body. If you are noticing this happen after you sleep and early in the morning it may be from low cortisol levels. You can have this checked by a simple blood test. Your body/adrenal glands produce the largest amount of cortisol in the morning to prepare your body for the physical stress it's about to endure to get moving for the day. Low cortisol levels can cause heart racing, speeding heart rates, sudden drop in blood pressure, ect. It just may be worth getting checked out. My son endured years of problems and over a week of hospitalization before the doctors thought of checking it out.

Hey, I recently quit MJ and am feeling the same "numb" feeling in the brain as you are, I would like to ask you how you are currently feeling and if it did subside, how long did it take for it to go away?