Hello. I had a heart attack a week ago. It was a nightmare. I was home alone with my grandchildren and when I figured something is wrong I tried to hide in the other room so that they don’t see me if something bad happens to me. But it was impossible to hide, they followed me persistently. That’s when I told them to call our first-door neighbor.

Luckily, everything went ok, I was transferred to the hospital and I had a stent placed immediately.

Now, I am ok, I am home. There is one thing that bugs me though-right after they placed the stent I felt huge pain in my chest. Why did this happen?

Hi Jefrey,

I'm glad that everything turned out okay for you, and I hope that your grandchildren didn't end up frightened when you had your heart attack.

The pain that you felt isn't uncommon, chest pain following successful balloon angioplasty or stent is a common problem. Although the development of chest pain after coronary interventions may not be a problem, it is disturbing to patients, relatives and hospital staff.

Now, you said that in your case, you had no pain after the procedure was done, I mean, in the past week? If the only pain you felt was right after they placed the stent, then you have nothing to worry about.

Hi guys,

I hope that it didn't scare them, as well. Children remember those kind of things.

Health n Joy is right, there is probably nothing to worry about. Are you feeling okay now? You don't feel any pain now, it was just right after they placed the stent?

If this is the case, than you really have nothing to worry about. It happens to most of the people. They feel enormous pain right after their stent was placed, but they usually ask their doctors about this right away. Why didn't you? It could have eased your mind so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Hello everyone,

I'm very thankful for your advice, I knew that this was a good place to post my question.

You are right, Stradivarius, I should have asked my doctor about it as soon as it happened but I didn't, I guess I was scared of what he might have said. 

No, the pain happened only right after the stent was placed, never again after it. So that means that there is nothing wrong, everything's fine, nothing for me to worry about? That's great, thank you so much! 

And my grandchildren are okay, they still don't know what happened, the neighbors looked after them while I was gone.

Hi everyone,

Yes Jefrey, that means that you are okay and are going to be just fine. And I'm also glad for your grandchildren, luckily, you have very good neighbors.

If you happen to feel any chest pain in the upcoming months, be sure to visit your doctor, okay? Don't be scared because of what he might say, if there is something wrong, it's better to find it out on time because sometimes, later can be too late. Heart problems are very dangerous and they are not something to play with.

Going for a routine control wouldn't be bad either, just in case.

Good day everyone. My name is Carl and I am 67 years old. For the first time in my life I got stent placed. I am here because I want to know does anyone in here has chest pain, very huge chest pain after getting stent placed? Because I do. I just can’t stand this pain and my doctor keeps telling me that this is the normal thing after stenting. I don’t know what to think. Maybe I am scared because I am older guy and this is my first surgery but I want to know are here anyone with similar experience? Thank you and let me know what to do.

Hey there. You could read all those advice from the upper posts. I understand that you are scared especially if this is the first procedure ( I really hope that you won’t have any of them anymore). In some cases the pain in the chest after getting stent placed is normal, but I am not sure that huge pain is normal. Did you describe this pain to your doctor? I am sure that there are so many medications that can be helpful to you in this case You should ask for some other doctor’s opinion. Good luck. I hope that you will be fine...

Hi guys.

Chest pain following very successful stenting is a very common problem in people. The development of chest pain after coronary intervention may not be the big problem, but it is very disturbing to patients and everyone around them.

There are several potential causes of the pain and it can be caused by acute coronary artery closure, coronary artery spasm, heart attacks or local coronary artery trauma.

As you can see you need to react soon just to be sure what is going on and tell exactly what the pain is like to your doctor.

Good luck in your recovery.