I am a 55 year old male. I have had chest pains since 1998 and every time I had gone to ER, was sent home as I must have been having angine, never an attack. In July 2006, I had 3 stents put in place after having a mild heart attack. Since that time, I still have been experiencing chest pains . Some days not a problem and that is after doing strenuous work. Some days through the roof after doing nothing at all. I must have been back to the ER 30 times and each time after the enzyme protocol, nothing, go home.
I have had a PH test, sleep test, ultra sound, mibi test, 2 angiograms (1 in October after the stents to see that everything was okay because I was still having chest pains), camera up the butt, various stress tests and nobody can tell me why this is happening. I am not imagining it, the pain is very real! ER doesn't know why, my doctor doesn't know why.
A nurse at a re-fit centre suggested that I may be allergic to the coating on the stents. Any suggestions or solutions?

Angina is a symptom that your heart muscle is not getting enough oxygen due to narrowing or occlusion of one or more branches of your coronary artery. The primary goal of stent surgery is to keep the surgically cleared coronary artery open for as long as possible, thereby improving the survivability of the patient. Your surgeon can only place the stents where they can positively identify on the angiogram. There are locations where placement of a stent cannot be done. Therefore stent surgery is no guarantee that you will be pain-free. I am assuming that you are also on medications to prevent the formation of blood clots. Blood clots do form and dissolve on their own from time to time. This may explain why some days you have pain and some days you don't. I believe your doctors had done the best they can.
There have been some clinical studies that showed that acupuncture greatly reduced the frequency and severity of angina attacks. This is one modality that you can try.

I am a 37 year old male. On September 29, I had 4 stents placed when I found my blood preasure was 232 over 132. I am finding myself also having real chest pain, I can be sitting on the sofa or out doing yard work with no rime or reason, the pain last about 15 min and is gone. I have called my Doctor on 3 ocasions in the middle of the night and have had follow up apointments, still he says to relax with some deep breaths as my blood preasure is still in the 120 over 80 range.
I have found a tearm called "Restenosis" which is a partial and some times a worse blockage of artery do to the rough edges of the new stent. (15%-20% possibility)

This is the 37 year old male from 10/23/2010 (Name Jake). Updated possibility= the chest pain we are feeling could also be from a term called "Unstable Angina", which is caused from Plaque rupture ( Plaque loosening and falling off into the artery)
Be aware I am just an individual trying to solve my problems by brain storming with others that might have like symptoms. I have no medical background.

Jake again 37 year old male, feeling much better, most of my issues were that at 37 years of age my weight was 257 lbs, current weight has only dropped to 240 lbs but in much better shape and am starting to loose on a slow healthy way with exercise & diet. the diet is the hard one i have cut out the real fatty foods Monday through Friday but still enjoy a weekend of BBQ chicken of fish. Not bad for a guy would buy 1/4 cow from the ranch every six months.
I do have to say though I still get that uneasy feeling from the chest and belly from time to time.. But for myself its a 50% mental issue which I can't seem to overcome, but the other 50% of the pain is still quit real, I do tell others I meet who are in the uneasy phase of just having stents surgery, "Trust what your body is telling you, if your feeling like you need help, Dial 911, that's what they are there for".
Again, Trust what your body is telling you, as I have found my current Doctor has made a few mistakes in trying to proscribe me medication that my heart Doctor had proscribed to me 4 months prior and then removed.
Take the time to educate yourself at least to the point of being able to have a conversation with the medical field.
Take care and take charge of your condition..

Hi Jake.  I'm 38 and had 4 stents placed 11 mos back.  Glad you are feeling better.  My experience has been very similar to yours.  I'm still having bouts occasionally where I feel on the verge of attack.  My doctor is not very open to answering questions or spending time with me for that matter he is always in a rush.  Would you recommend i see another doctor; looks like you've made a switch based on your posts?

TX Dave

I have read the postings and find myself having alot of the systems after my stent surgies, I have 6 all together and have had 3 heart attacks, one big one, I am 48 and not to overweight, 21 pounds by my height, but I do have type 1 diabetes, thats a big part of my problem.

My doctor explained to me thst it was not uncommon to have light and heavy chest pains, so i take nitrates for it and he further stated, i could for a long time, since my heart is in A fib. the postings I have read have helped alot.

Thanks for the info

Gentlemen. I am 38 and have had a stint put in two weeks ago tomorrow. I find myself getting dizzy with exertion and having a lot of gas and mild chest pain. I had an 80% blockage and got a medicated stent. I also seem to have a hemorrhage or hemotoma, don't remember the difference where they went into do the stent, but doc says It should be fine. I am told that that increases risk of clotting? Has anyone else had this issue?

Hello , I am a 45 yr old male. I am bad on dates and terms on stents and Arteries etc etc And I don't know where exactly my stents are I know they are in the front of my heart .

Anyways around 10-11 yrs ago I was 35 had a mild heart attack Doctor put in I believe 4 stents at the time , Felt great no problems . About a year and a half later I felt a very similar pain starting to occur with activity So Went back to ER and they placed 2 more in the same area  Again felt great for about 4-5 years when felt the pain coming again .

Went to ER placed another 3stents ,  2 in the same area 1 in totally different area off to the left of my heart where all the others where more center/right of my heart . I just got home from the Hospital yet again 9/23/2012 . 3-4 months ago I felt the clogging pain beginning again this time I wait longer then normal about 2 months longer to go to the ER the Doctor told me I have alot of scar tissue causing the problems

Since I now have 9 Stents all in the same area and I believe 2 inside one another , And 1 Stent completely away from the other 9. My thing is after this last operation It feels much different then all the previous , this one took longer to heal as I still not healed just feel tired and groggy .

I also feel when drinking coffee it burns right where my heart is as the coffee is going down the coffee is hot but not to the point where i cant drink it , I also now cant drink cold beverages everything I drink has to be at room temperature , It feels like there is a tennis ball inside my chest when drinking then add in the burn/freeze and it isnt very comfortable .

Has anyone had this problem ?? I also wonder about being allergic to these stents since all the scar tissue continues to clog my Artery it is NOT Plague but scar tissue . When growing up I got a earring and became allergic to the metal I just am thinking this is the problem . Anyone else feel this way ???

I'm 50 and a recently had a stent put in.

I too constantly feel a pinching pain in the left side of me chest right where my heart is.

This pain feels sharper when I turn in bed or when I bend over to pick something up off the floor.

It really bothers me and makes me feel weak and vulnerable as I try to recover and get back in shape.

I came on here to find an answer to what,you are looking for.i have exactly the same symptons. 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Just got out of hospital. Had  3 stents put in  on the same artery. Still have some chest pain every few hours. My doctor said this is normal for alot of patients.

What do you think ...does anyone else have the same.

BrokenHeart50, I too have this pinching pain on my left side. Just like you it's sharper when I turn in bed or bend over to pick something up or stretch. However it usually goes away in a few hours but it has been with me all day today. The pain is really scary. I have had two heart attacks and currently have four stints. Just wondering your status today. Hope you're alright.

I received a stent about 3 years ago. Occassionly I also feel a pinch on my left chest area while laying on my right side. Wondering what it could be?