Im 17 years old and I have always had trouble sleeping my whole life but nothing real serious but a year back I have been having phasses of sleep paralysis.My mother talked to a docter about it and he said it was nothing serious,but that rarely happens to me anymore..BUT for the past week now I have been having this weird thing happen to me, I will start to fall asleep and then right when im about too I will instantly wake up feeling like im about vomit, like I was being gagged.the thing is,is that I'm not sick and feel absolutly fine after it and during the rest of my day eccept the fact that i am really tired from not being able to fall asleep because of it.This becoming really annoying for me and leading too completely sleepless nights.
Any idea on what this might be?thanks.

A few days ago I was reading in the news (here on the site) that it is possible to experience sleeping problems and then behavioral problems during the day when you have problems with tonsils and adenoids.

Apparently, enlarged tonsils can obstruct air from coming in and going through and a person may even start choking during sleep besides having troubles sleeping.

Many parents and doctors don’t even think of this, so the problem persists and goes unnoticed but they start giving children all sorts of drug for regulating their sleep and behavioral problems that may result in hyperactivity during the day (from inadequate sleep-believe it or not). But just like in your case, other people may experience tiredness, lack of concentration and poor memory from not sleeping well.

See a GP and try to get a referral for an ENT to check for your tonsils. If they don’t want to give you a referral to en ENT based on these symptoms, say you have pain in the back of throat and that you constantly feel a lump in your throat that you can’t get rid of. This way, they will certainly send you to an ENT who will check on your tonsils.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Sometimes doctors and parents take our issues much too lightly. If you are worried, you need to emphasize to your parents or school counselor how much you need to have it checked out. There are sleep clinics, where you go to sleep whith monitors to analyze the problem. Or how about having someone stay in the room as you fall asleep to see if they can help shed light for you. Just a thought. I see that was in August you wrote, I'm hoping it's all better now. :-) Good Luck.

I have kinda the same problem
Im sleeping and usally have a dream or not them all of a sudden im chocking really bad and i have vomit like on my throat kinda
yeah it sounds nasty
but im chocking for a while till it goes away it gets pretty bad its been happening on and off for a few weeks and i dont know whats going on!