Hello everyone. well i have been diagnose with acute tonsillitis and because of the pain and the nasal congestion, i have slept very little and even when i do sleep i wake almost screaming in agony because believe or not the infection is making my entire face hurt and for some reason i'm always sweating very badly.it is also deeply depressing because the meds aren't working although i think the penicillin might be but everything else doesn't help at all. is there anything i can do to help me get some sleep?

Hey ben.

The symptoms of tonsillitis may include fever, sore throat, trouble swallowing and enlargement of the lymph glands in the neck. All of them are usually treated successfully with oral antibiotics. Nasal congestion isn't common for tonsillitis. There could be other breathing difficulties, such as sleep apnea, caused by enlarged tonsils in your throat, thus you have sleeping problems, but I doubt that tonsillitis could cause any nose problems. Also that face pain you have isn't common for tonsillitis. It's more likely that you also have another infection, such as rhinitis or common cold that is causing nasal congestion. If that another infection is bacterial, then antibiotics should solve the problem, but you have to be patient. But the problem could be if you have viral infection, where antibiotics aren't useful at all. You can use nasal spray as a relief for congestion. Contact your pharmacist to prescribe you one.

HI Ben
Its been 5 years since you posted this. I am sure you are well now as I went through same stage as you.
Getting rid of tonsils is the best thing one can do with these symptons. Its a different world living with huge tonsils in a wet country like NZ in winters. Summers are much better and I am glad that I am all sorted for this coming winter. Hope people reading this will understand that troubled breathing can lead to depression as well