I am supposed to have Orthognathic surgery in December. I am just waiting on insurance approval. I plan to align the jaws and clear out nasal passages. I heard that it would cost about $50.000. What are the most important things I should know about this surgery?

Hi, I had my top jaw moved foward to align the jaws and my nasal passages cleared out. The surgery was done after failure of all other treating options for TMJD symptoms, like apnea and breathing problems. I had throat abnormality, so the lower jaw was extended to open up the airway. It has helped me a lot. I don’t know if they still use this particular surgery for breathing problems. A 1 day stay in the hospital is between $15,000-$20,000 for the doctor fee and about $20,000-$25,000 for the hospital fee. It is not a particularly dangerous surgery, since it doesn’t require long stay in the hospital. Anyway, you should check all details with your doctors and insurance company.