Hi, I am thinking of going for orthognatic surgery but how much is the cost usually for the surgery alone? and is there any side effect for this operation?I am 26 this year and always have no confidence with my self so is it too late for me to go for operation?what is the maximum age for this surgery?thanks you

Hi there! You should know that there are maximum age boundaries although some surgeons reported age 69. However, girls and boys no older than 12-14 should undergo the surgery.
Like in any surgeries, there are possible side effects but are rare if you choose an experienced surgeon. What you can get are benefits-most of the time. You didn’t report if your problem is only cosmetical (including low self-esteem) or you have other troubles like chewing, eating and speaking.

If you have problems with speech, TMJ, air way problem or gastric problems then you should fill out the form and send a request to your medical insurance company. Although orthognathic surgery is considered to be a cosmetic surgery and wouldn’t cover for it, if you have extra medical problems, you could try filling out the form with your surgeon and ask for an approval.
Otherwise, it costs a lot. The price differs from country to country as well as from hospital to hospital but here are some costs I managed to find. You should have these checked of course.

Surgical fee only would be between $9,000-11,000 while hospital fees would be much more expensive and range from $20,000-40,000. it doesn’t stop here. You also have to pay for the anesthesiologist, miscellaneous supplies, etc between $1000-2000.

So, according to my search, the cost may be anywhere between $29,000 and 51,000.

Hi Miia, Thanks lot for all the feedback. I find it very useful, I guess it is more like cosmetic problem although lot of people have complaint to me that my speech is very ambiguous most of the time. Maybe I should consult a surgeon first and ask about his or her opinion, meanwhile thank lot

UR Welcome