Last week my brother had to go emergency surgery to have his gall bladder removed. Unfortuneately he is uninsured. Which leaves him with the problem of paying for. He is in the process of negotiating payment with the hospital, but is lacking some key information. For instance, what does an insurance company normally pay a hospital for this procedure? What's the average cost across the country?, etc.

I have to believe this information is available somewhere - anyone have any links to likely resources?

TE wrote:

TE wrote:

I'm in the same situation. Anyone with any information. Thanks you.

I had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago and from looking at the insurance claims so far I am looking at about 12000 dollars for the procedure. This factors in hospital stay, meds, surgeon fees, anesthesiolist fees, etc.

I think the main question was.. what will insurance usually pay for this procedure? That is a start for negotiating the cost. thanks.

Hello.... I have been having pain in the upper right hand side of my abdomen over the past 4 days, the pain is accompanied by body ache, high fever, chills, sore throat and headache. I have been doing some research and I feel like the symptoms can be related to a gallbladder issue... I have a doctor's appointment today but I also lack insurance benefits, could you guys let me know more about your symptoms and the operation. Thank you!!!!

I was in Woodlandhills, Ca on vacation and had mine out as an inpatient. I was so inflamed that they had to wait so it was "safe". I rec'd the HOSPITAL bill and it was $49,000. I only have to pay $1500 of that~

I am still getting bills from other resources (labs & anestheologist) Which would take me over $55,000.~ Remember this was in Woodlandhills/Malibu. The location could have been more~

Try typing in "gallbladder removal costs inpatient vs outpatient"

All I can say is...if you know you have to get it out----do it now---don't wait like I did and end up in the hospital sick!!

Good luck and take care~ JR

in India,the best surgery will cost around 30,000 rs or roughly 600$ in best hospital and with super deluxe private ward

We just got the bill for my wife's gallbladder removal. It was done outpatient and the total bill was just under 12K.

Just got all my bills together for surgery performed in hospital via emergency. Two nights stay, a whopping $22,000. That was negotiated down to $11,000 and my high deductible at $6000.

Canada: Cost--Nothing...not even the hospital stay.
Plus: Because I had to travel to the hospital both for surgery and pre-op, I received a travel grant, covering hotel and travel expenses.

The pre-op was amazing: Met the anaesthetist, the pharmacist, the head nurse, one of the surgeon's assistant....

All of this included two xrays, two ultrasounds, even a gastroscopy, which they thought necessary because i was having difficulty swallowing and acid reflux....to say nothing of numerous rounds of blood work.

No tussels with the insurance companies, no deductibles...what a relief.

I am an American now living in Canada....

I am and artist and have no health ins. Had to go to Costa Rica in 2008 for laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. The cost was $4,400.00 plus airfare $500.00 for me and $500.00 for my daughter. We stayed at a lovely motel and with meals and a very prompt and nice driver who picked us up at the airport and for doctor's visits, pre-op labs etc, was around $1,000. The operating room was more modern than most of the ones I've worked in as a nurse. I had no post-op nausea and just took tylenol for discomfort (and turned down their offers of pain meds). The hospital was Clinica Biblica. It was such a great experience, I am so grateful to no longer have pain, and I highly recommend it. The person who arranged everything for me was a nice young man named Cecilio Barles. Their toll free # is 1-800-503-5358. Feel free to ask him for my testimonial. I could not have been more pleased. Anne B.

I had my gallbladder laparoscopic removed on 11/25/09 I went in as an outpatient got there at 6.00 a.m and was home the same day around 11.00 a.m. in all about 5 hours the the surgeon's cost was 3,093.00 the anesthesia cost was 1, 232.00 and the hospital bill was 17,194.00 I called the hospital and asked for a detailed statement. I cannot imagine how much it would of cost if I had to spend one night there.

Guest wrote:

well that's great... Next time I'm in India I'll make sure I have my gallbladder removed.

I am in the same boat, no insurance and had my gallbladder removed I am at 14k right now (small town, Tx)..... 4 wks later I am having more "gallbladder attacks" and my liver function (blood test) are high, so back to a hospital again, with a GI specialist, as they believe stones are stuck in a duct somewhere. I didn't know you were able to negotiate hospital bills?