Orthognathic surgery refers to the surgical repositioning of the maxilla, mandible, and the dentoalveolar segments. I think orthognathic is also used to achieve facial and occlusal balance. One or more segments of the jaw can be simultaneously repositioned to treat various types of jaw deformities. Since I am born with prognathic mandible and hypoplastic maxilla, I asked a lot about this operation. I want to know something about pre-operative diagnosis and preparing for orthognatic.

Preoperative diagnosis and planning for orthognatic surgery includes a photographic analysis and a complete orthognathic work-up. Here are involved cephalometric and panorex radiographs, dental impressions, and models. This is done by the Pedodontist and Orthodontist in coordination with the craniofacial surgeon. All findings are analyzed and pre-surgical model surgery performed to ascertain the feasibility of the various treatment options. Additionally, computer analysis is done pre-surgically by the craniofacial surgeon to simulate surgical results. Computer analysis provides the craniofacial team with visual information and numerical data that is a compilation of many time-consuming calculations. Usually, pre-surgical orthodontics is necessary to straighten the teeth and align the arches. That should be done so that a stable occlusion can be obtained post-operatively, while orthodontics following surgery is frequently required to revise minor occlusal discrepancies. Orthognathic surgery is often delayed until after all of the permanent teeth have erupted. That is often, unless medical conditions necessitate that the surgery be performed earlier. In adult patients, orthognathic surgery can be combined with soft tissue contouring to improve the aesthetic results after operation.