Hi, for as long as I can remember I had to deal with ovarian cyst. Most of them would usually go away on their own, but once I had to undergo a laparoscopy cyst removal. Now I am three months pregnant. I am at the same time excited and worried. My main reason for concern is ovarian cyst. Can you get ovarian cyst during pregnancy? If so, how do they affect the course of pregnancy?

Hi, cyst can be very annoying if they cause pain. I am sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with these nuisances earlier. Now that you are pregnant you don’t have to worry about them any more. Ovarian cysts can be formed after the release of the egg from the ovary. If the sack that remains behind doesn’t dissolve it can sometimes transform into cyst. Also an egg may not be released at all and the follicle can grow into a cyst. The processes of egg maturation and release are under hormonal control. When you suppress the activity of these hormones, you can stop cyst from forming. During pregnancy your body knows that there is no need for other eggs to be released. If the eggs are not maturing than the cyst cannot be formed because there is no material from which they are formed. So don't worry, during your pregnancy you don't have to think about the cysts.

Hi, I'm 4 months pregnant and at my 13 weeks scan they found a large cyst on my left ovary. I've been closely monitored and at the last scan (18weeks) the consultant told me that it would be best to remove the cyst as although it wasn't causing problems with the baby it could cause me problems if it twisted on the stem. I'm now waiting to hear when the surgery will take place and have been assured that the risk to baby is minimal. Just to say that though you've suffered with cysts a long time even if they discover one while you're pregnant dont worry. Chances are if they haven't found one at 3 months you're not likely to get one.

I am in my 13th week of pregnancy and also found out at 5.5 weeks that I had a large cyst on my ovary. It is 9cm and I go back to the perinatal specialist at 16 weeks. He suggested that I have it removed and noted the same complication of it twisting or bursting.

He didn't go into too much detail and I am curious about the surgery or how it's performed. He did mention I would be in the hospital for a few days which was surprising. Have you had your surgery and if so, how was it performed?

I had a large ovarian cyst when i was pregnant a few years ago. i didnt know i had it till i woke up with SEVERE pain and vomiting in my 4th month. They finally dianosed it as a cyst when they opened me up by doing an exploratory laporotomy. (i have a lovely scar from my pubic area past my belly button.) The cyst was 13cm , the size of a small melon. it had twisted itself upon my right ovary, cutting off the blood supply and thus in effect killing it, so they had to remove the ovary. It was an ordeal to say the least. I was in the hospital for 5 days. (my baby was fine, and i carried to full term, having no other complications.) I have had 1 cyst since then, not as bad though. My advice to anyone is that if you start to have a dull aching pain in your pelvic area, and then its more stabbing pain, and your not sure what it is....go to the doctor. you never know. i listened to my body the second time, and they caught it at 3cm. better to be safe than sorry.

the procedure is simple. they make three small insisions one for a camera two for the "popping" impliments lol. recovery time bout a week. only feels like minor brusing. mine is 8.4 cm and super painful. its not exactly the biggest cyst out there but for some reason it ended up putting me in the hospital twice before they finally figured out it was a cyst.

It is very painful! I have an ovarian cyst, 8.5 cm. I'm in my 25 - 26 week of pregnancy and they won't remove it. My concern is will it make going through labor harder? My doctor said that the cyst doesn't have anything to do with my pregnancy anymore since im way out of my 7th week of pregnancy, so can the cyst be cancerous and what kind of cyst is it? (Since its not associated by pregnancy anymore.) I was having bad pains but the cyst isn't growing or shrinking or anything so im not having pains anymore. What will they do with the cyst after I give birth?