I was diagnosed as having IBS about ten years ago and have tried everything under the sun for it with no avail. I injured my knee pretty badly in 2002 and have since had 2 serguries and was awaiting my 3rd and final one when workers comp dropped me. Anyway, I am saving the money now to have the surgery done. My Doctor put me on oxycodein for the chronic knee pain. I noticed after about a month that my IBS symptoms had disappeared completely. I could actually go on a road trip without mapping out the rest stations and exits with bathrooms. I found myself becoming addicted to the oxycodein so I spent a month weining myself off of them. I have now been off of them for two weeks and my knee pain and IBS are back in full strength. Has anyone else had any similar effects regarding pain killers and IBS? I have an appointment to discuss my long term pain management issues with my knee and was wondering if perhaps another pain killer (not as potent as Oxycodein) has ever had similar effects on others with IBS.

Its because of the codeine in the medication. Codeine can be a constipating factor for most people