Everything that I have read states that there is some discomfort with an attack associated with diverticulitis. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the pain as an eleven. It is worse than having drug induced labor. While the pain is definately intense the other symptoms are just as bad: nausua and cold sweats. Does anyone else have the same symptoms? Also when the specialist did the colonscopy and gave me the diagnosis, he did not recommend any medication or diet restrictions. Is that normal?

Cold sweats usually develop when you become dehydrated (due to diverticulitis) and shock occurs. It means that body is not able to supply enough oxygen to all the tissues and it may lead to death. When shock occurs, a person’s heart rate and breathing accelerate but their blood pressure drops as well as body temperature and then a person becomes pale, experiences cold sweats and weakness. This is a life-threatening condition actually.
Most mild cases of diverticulitis are treated with antibiotics, metronidazole and ciprofloxacin or sulfamethoxazole plus trimethoprim. If the infection is acute, then you would be kept hospitalized and given intravenous fluids and antibiotics.
If diverticular disease is not developed, you would then need to modify your nutrition, eat more fiber and increase water intake but it is a doctor who should tell you what exactly to eat and how much fiber to start with, so you wouldn’t develop gas and bloating and hard stool.
When antibiotics don’t work, a patient needs a surgery to remove the infected colon.
As for the diet, you may have problems with the uncooked complex carbohydrates as they may deferment due to improper digestion and cause more trouble. You should also avoid raw fruits and vegetables. I shouldn’t be even mentioning cutting down on spicy and fat foods. Drinking a lot of water is important for removed the toxins and making your stool soft.
When the inflammation is gone, you should be eating foods low in fat and high in protein and fiber.

I found it really weird but I was also not given any med's or special diet by the specialist who told me that I had diverticulitis.