I've started having problems when defecate and that have become very painful for me. Sometimes I even notice few spots of blood that come from my anus. Can it be divertcultis? What symptoms are common to occur in divertcultis? What should I do to cure it and how is divertcultis diagnosed?

Common symptoms of diverticulitis are abdominal pain, discomfort and constipation. Diverticular bleeding is also one of the symptoms. Diverticulitis may be treated with antibiotics, but nutritional habits and changes in diet are more important in this case. Amount of fibers should be increased in the diet because they help in keeping the stool soft and lower pressure in colon. Fiber products like metamucil and citrucel are sometimes used either. Foods that contain seeds, like tomatoes, strawberries, cucumbers should be avoided, and also nuts, popcorn, sesame, sunflower and the similar are considered as harmful in diverticulitis.