I was just told by a very rushed Dr. that I have diverticulitis and should ingest only clear liquids. She handed me two perscriptions for antibiotics and, poof, she was off to the next patient before I could ask HOW LONG should I be on clear liquids? And Why two antibiotics? Am I supposed to stay on clear liquids for the duration of those pills? What should I start with when I come off liquids?

Hello Karen,
First,Let me start by saying I am sorry you are going through this. I felt the same way the first time I had an attack. I know after the clear diet you go to a soft diet then on to a regular diet. However during the attack eat low low fiber then gradually increase your fiber with the soft diet. When you are all better and on regular foods you need a high fiber diet. As for the med's there are usually two antibiotics one fights the bacterial infection and the other fights the infection in a different way. I am on Flagyl and Levaquin. My advice to you is to always follow the diet they give you and eat the high fiber after your attack. Good luck! I hope this helped if you need anything else I will be glad to try to help you!

The same thing happened to me when I had my first attack. I stayed on clear liquids for a week until I had a follow up visit. After my second attack I made sure to ask how long to stay on liquids and was told to continue until I was pain free (which was about 3 days). I then started on a soft diet for a few days before returning to normal.