Hi, few months ago I have noticed a weird lump growing in my earlobe. It didn’t hurt at first but as it got bigger it also started hurting. I saw in the mirror that it was yellowish on the top, I thought it was pus and tried to squeeze it out. It didn’t work since the skin was too thick to break, after that it just kept on growing and hurting from time to time. It didn’t bother me much since the initial pain has decreased but it looks kind of odd and it makes me feel ugly. Does anyone know what this is and can it be treated or at least reduced to a reasonable size possibly without surgery.

Your description of the change in your earlobe makes me think of two possibilities. One is that this could be some kind of a tumor of the connective tissue underneath the skin which normally constitutes the earlobe. The most probable possibility is clogged sebaceous gland of the earlobe. It is not uncommon to have clogged sebaceous glands in the earlobe. They are a result of poor hygiene or some kind of an infection. Most people don’t even notice them, or notice them as small lumps in the earlobe, but some of them tend to get infected and they can grow to be very big and can become a great problem for the patient. They can hurt but they don’t have to, the pain usually appears when the lump starts pressing on some nerve ending in the earlobe. Trying to squeeze them out will only cause you more pain and can worsen the infection. The safest solution is to go to a plastic surgeon and have the lump removed. It may be the smartest thing to do because they could rule out the chances of some kind of a cancer, don’t worry the procedure isn’t painful and it shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes to do it. Good luck with it.

About six months ago I also developed a very small ball-shaped lump in the centre of my earlobe. It has never been caused me any pain or discomfort, but last week I noticed a slightly larger lump has appeared below it at the base of my earlobe, which is quite sore to touch. I will visit my GP when I have time, but is it likely to be anything serious? It's not noticeable by sight, and doesn't bother me other than when I occasionally bump it. Thanks.

Hey LacotaWolf,

I think that this small bump has nothing to do with this larger one. You said that larger lump sores when you touch it. And the small one not, or?

This might be an enlarged lymph node or an abscess or an infected cyst, as the pain usually points to either inflammation or infection.

You need to be seen by doctor ASAP so he could locate the infection and prescribe you some antibiotics as for treatment.

i have like this big ball grow out the back of my ears for having my ear pierced and I was wondering what it was and can it be removed i would ready like to know

Hey to respond to the "big ball" growing out the back of your ear from a piercing... it is most likely either a Hypertrophic or keloid scar, basically it's just a build up of scar tissues. If it's a hypertrophic scar, i might heal on its own after a couple of Years (ya i know that sucks), if its a keliod scar... i bit more difficult, i think you have to get it surgically removed.

i recently discovered that i have lump in my right ear lobe. i have no idea what it is, and it does not hurt at all. im a bit worried, but my dad has fatty lumps all over his body (it is some kind of genetic thing that my grandma had as well) im worried tho, because none of them have had one in their ear lobes. could this be a tumor?

I went to a plastic surgeon today to have my earlobe cyst removed - quick relatively easy procedure. now we'll see how it heals up

I have noticed that when I pout in an earring the hole bleeds which it never used too. it stopped but I have noticed growing on the back of my earlobe is a stange sqaushy lump. my mum squeezed it but it only got bigger its now purply in colour and hurts. do you know hat it could be and how to get rid of it?

hi readers resently i have noticed ear lobe lumps r startin 2 form on a lot of people in fact to many and i am tryin to find out why loads of my mates have got them and so have i we all got them around the same time and we r tryin to find a link plz leave info if u no any thing useful jay :-D

I too have experienced recurring earlobe inflammations about 4-5 times a year since I had my ears pierced 3 years ago. I haven't had them in for 2 years, yet I still get them, to the point where I need to squeeze them free of bloody pus (gross i know), and then they subside.

I read online that it's a cyst, and sure enough I do have one formed where my ear was pierced. I have acne, and I thought maybe it was all connected, but it's not - I'll have acne breakouts and my ears are fine, and sometimes my skin is perfect and my ears swell up.

I'm scheduling an appt. with a dermatologist to have the cyst removed. i can't stand these gross things.

I have also had a small hard ball like lump in my ear. I ignored it, however it started to get bigger and bigger until it was a large squishy lump. This worried me so i went to my local doctors to have it checked out. The doctor assured me it was nothing except a simple infection. To cure it all she did was to numb my ear and used a steralised needle to pierce the lump. All it was in my case was puss and blood. After having it checked and removed it has come back several times but has always been the same. I hope this helps and my advice is do not try and solve this problem on your own , go to a doctor!

I have something similar - very small, hard lump that feels a lot like a pimple before it becomes visible, inside my right earlobe. Seems like its probably a cyst or infection of some type (perhaps stress related). I'm going to try a hot compress and tea tree oil and see what that does but I am reluctant to try popping it.

I also have this same problem!! Except that my lump is always there (have had it for around 5 years) but it changes size!!! it was rather large 2 days ago and now it has gone down to its usual size, it started hurting for the first time (probably due to how much i was playing with it) so i came here for some advice.. The whole tumor thing worrys me a bit!!

I also have lumps in both of my ear lobes and dont know what they are :-(