Hello. I'm 25 year old female and I'm pretty scared right now. You see, about a week ago I have noticed that I have an enlarged lymph node on the left side of my neck.
It was approximately size of a peanut. It didn’t look that serious to me and that’s why I didn’t pay too much attention on it. But yesterday I have noticed more serious symptoms.
I have palpated one enlarged and very painful lymph node under my armpit and I got really scared because I have never experienced anything similar. Please tell me what could be wrong with me. Could it be something serious?

I would really like to help you but I don’t know could I because there are so many conditions that cause lymph node pain and enlargement.
But, in most cases, there are four possible causes- infections, inflammatory conditions, an abscess, or cancer. Far most common cause is infection. I wouldn’t go so far and tell it could be a cancer because it would cause enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly. In your case, when swelling appears suddenly and is painful, it is usually caused by injury or an infection.
I don’t know what to tell more about this. You should contact your general practitioner and let him determine the right cause. But it doesn’t seams to me like it is anything serious!

What would the definition of gradual and painful be in this case?

i have a painful lump in my armpit that developed 2 wks ago. it is not an ingrown hair since i had laser hair removal about 5 years ago. i have breast implants that were done about 3 years ago. the lup in larger than a golf ball and the swelling seems to be spreading. i can no longer move my arm due to the pain. the pain extends through out my shoulder, arm, and breast. i can't sleep on my stomach anymore. i haven't been sick recently or swithched deodarants. i have been taking cipro for 4 days and i seem to be getting worse. i am scared since the swelling is under my implant scar, and the pain is affecting my implant. there is no history of breast cancer in my family. i am only 31 years old, and i am terrified to go to the doctor about it yet. i keep hoping i will start to feel better. the pain feels burning and searing, lik i am being stabbed with a soldering gun. does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong with me?

exactly two weeks ago a large lump on the right side of my throat appeared and it was really really painful and spots came on my salivary glands; i couldn't eat anything and swallowing my own salivary was painful. two days ago i realized i had a lump behind my ear as well it is painful when i touch it. i don;t know what to do because i am only 16 and i am starting to think i have cancer, i know i should get them checked but i'm scared of what my father would say... i know this is bad but i quit smoking exactly two weeks ago, could they be linked in any way? i've read that some people think it is. i really do not know what to do. could anyone help me?

The lump behind your ear is most probably a lymph node, and you probably do have an infection.... the rule of thumb is if you have pain and if the nodes are movable and not very hard, you should be ok .. you should have it checked out no matter what though because you have an infection and that is why they are swollen.... your nodes are there to filter your systems so better be safe to get it looked at. the quitting smoking and the infection are probably not linked.. but bravo for the attempt to stop smoking I know it is hard...Keep up the good work.

i believe that if ur blood work and everything comes back fine and there is no infections to get a x ray or somthing... but deffinatly get a blood test. im twenty eight and have had the same symptoms.. but they dont hurt..and i do have history of cancer in the family...i dont know what to do besides have it looked at.