OK my family has been plagued by some type of virus for a few years. It started with my Daughter, when she was 3 or 4, and first occurred after she had a high fever, spread to my wife and then to me.
Our symptoms are similar but not the same, my wife seems to get it the worst. Usually after I have been sick my lips and gums swell and I get sores on my lips just where they meet (usually just the lower.) The sores look like a cluster of mini blisters and are filled with a clear liquid (puss.) They will last a few days and eventually go away. My wives sores tend to be worse and will eventually begin bleeding and heal up in about a week. My daughter has not had a recent outbreak but her gums will swell and she will get sores similar to mine but sometimes like my wives. When this first started my wife went to the Doctor and they did a test for herpes which came back negative. However I do not know what strain of herpes they tested for. Any help would be appreciated.

There are two main herpes strains that cause both lip sores and inflammation of gyms, but usually just one of them tends to cause recurring infections which is, in a way, good, because symptoms of first time infection are much stronger (fever, sore throat, etc) and they last for about two weeks. Since this is a viral infection, there is no definite cure – there are only a variety of antiviral creams. Topical creams, probably the only treatment which works, are most effective when they are applied at a first sign of inflammation. There are also some anti-inflammatory pills which maybe can prevent this from happening but it’s the best to check with your doctor about them. Triggers for herpes break out are sunlight (it’s a good idea for the three of you to start using sunscreen only on the infected area – try something for sensitive, even baby skin), premenstrual syndrome (that’s maybe the reason why your wife is unfortunately suffering the most) and weakening of the immune system (you should definitely give some attention to choosing adequate vitamin supplements).