I'm a 25 yr old and got my tonsils taken out Friday, November 10th. The first 3 days were an absolute breeze for me...i was drinking lots of fluids, eating lots of cold stuff and pudding, jello, etc. even eating pasta and mashed potatoes on day 2. Yesterday, however, i started having intense pain in the throat and some of the built up white c**p (maybe stuck food?)on my throat was starting to come off. But, it built up again, and it was starting to hurt to try and help it along with a Q-tip. The docs gave me morphine and celebrex for the pain...which at first helped, but now the morphine stings and burns my throat so bad!! It seems to me like the pain has gotten a lot worse....is it going to get worse before it gets better?? And how long do i have to wait until this c**p on my throat comes off?? i don't actually think its the scab--disgustingly it almost seems like its the food i've been eating. Is it safe to help it off with a Q-tip or will that cause bleeding??

You're right, the built up stuff is food. My pain was the worst the 5th and 6th day and is much better now.

I'm sure you're probably pretty hungry, but my best advice is to switch to food that you don't have to chew too much for right now. Sticky stuff like bread and potatos will get stuck back there and it causes me some discomfort. If sliding it away with a Q-Tip is too much, try to rinse your throat with some warm water. My pain level is to a point where I can kind of do a bit of a gargle, but if you can't yet, just tip your head back and shake your head around a little bit to agitate the food away.

I started my first few days with a minimal change in diet. I even ate pizza on the 2nd day! This isn't necessarily a good idea, because the first two days you have a false sense of wellness that makes you think you can handle that (I'm assuming it's do to all the pain meds they give you during and post surgery). Cut down to puddings and noodle type soups for a few days, then work your way back up. I really love instant rice cooked in different cream soups, but beware that this will leave a lot of stuff in your throat too.

If you're careful, a wet Q-Tip to slide the food off shouldn't cause any bleeding, just touch the food gently and slide it away to spit out. The first few days I thought it was scab too, but it is definitely food!

Good luck! Feel better soon!

what day did you have your surgery?? mine was friday, so today (thursday) would be my 6th day i suppose. I took your advice and worked at my throat with a Q-tip...got most of the c**p off but now its stinging really bad when i drink my staple Gatorade!! i guess i'll revert back to water and apple juice again :-(. I can't tell if it feels better or not--i just know that my throat isn't coated with stinky leftovers! I also am able to gently gargle either lukewarm or cold water so thats been helping to keep the food from sticking to my throat... how disgusting!! Also, my pain seems to be the worst at night and right away in the morning--those are the times the morphine doesn't seem to do much but dull the pain. You said your worst pain was 5th and 6th days?? so if tomorrow is day 7 i should start feeling better?? i hope so--tomorrow is supposed to be my first day back at work but we'll see--i'm leary to go to work still using morphine. did you revert back to soft mushy foods when your pain got worse? are you able to eat semi-solid foods by now?

I had my surgery on November 9th so it is now my 9th day. It's a different experience for everyone who has the procedure, so it's hard to say when exactly you'll be feeling like yourself again, but you're well on your way!

Give it a few more days and the food will stop sticking on its own, I found out. As the scabs start to come away your throat doesn't catch all the food anymore, which is a huge relief because that was disgusting!

I'm able to eat what I want now, for the most part, but I am still avoiding dry things like crackers, chips and the like.

I did occasionally touch a very sensitive spot on the right side of my throat with the Q-Tip that hurt horribly, so if you want to try that, you really need to be careful and only just slightly wipe at the food. Don't get overly carried away with wiping it all off, as you should be able to rinse any little bits away.

I only take pain medication now when I wake up in the morning, as it does hurt the most then. The combination of sleeping and the amount of time you do sleep does make it hurt the most, I've noticed. At random times I'll get a bit of bad pain on the right side (it has always been my worst side for my tonsils) that goes into my ear, but it passes quickly and I'm fine.

I was due back to work on Thursday the 16th but wasn't ready yet. Today was my first day back at work and I've had a good night. I have a drink constantly and any time I feel a little sore or dry I take a good gulp.

The days the pain was the worst I did change my diet again, because I felt I was overdoing it a bit with hurrying and trying to eat. I had soups and popsicles more than anything else, and when the pain subsided again I started to eat more again. Start easy with soft foods and things that won't make you chew a lot. I noticed the more I chewed the more I hurt, so it's not just all about swallowing!

Hope you're feeling better soon, good luck!

you're definitely right...day 9 i took only one dose of morphine all day...and here on day 11 i'm back to normal, eating doritos and anything really that i want, no morphine....and only tylenol when i feel some discomfort. i sneezed for the first time today and realized that its quite agonizing....very glad i saved that til day 11 or i'd have been in tears!! pretty sure most, if not all, of the scabs are gone, but i still cough up some mucus in the mornings....is that normal? i have a humidifier in my room now which helps a lot, but did or do you have some phlegm caught up in there at times?? thanks for your support thru all this...i'm so glad i got thru the rough times and boy, were they ever rough!!!

I'm finally all the better as well! Tomorrow makes two weeks, and I am very near normal. I don't find sneezing to be too bad but I HATE yawning. It hurts something awful.

I don't really have any phlegm but I've been dealing with a runny nose since the surgery, a tad bit annoying.

My taste buds are a bit weird yet. Certain foods do not taste right to me sometimes, but it all improves more and more every day.

The most annoying side effect is that I fear I will have to re-learn how to sing! I know it sounds weird, but since the surgery I do not sing the same, and I love singing, so this is all very weird.

Also weird, I had a dream last night that after having my tonsils removed they were replaced with some kind of weird throat monster! It had pinchers and tentacles and if I opened my mouth wide it would peak out! SO STRANGE!

I also ready something recently that says human tonsils bounce MUCH HIGHER than regular rubber bouncy balls. Strange indeed.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have recovered well! Still be a bit careful with the sneezing and yawning and whatnot, because there can still be complications after two weeks.

Good luck, and good riddance to those tonsils!

yes, i've realized that yawning is pretty painful, but it gets better every day! I think now i can finally open my mouth the whole way when i yawn...very strange to think that yawning is affected...but i have another question---after your tonsil spots had pretty much healed, did it almost look like your tonsils had grown back?? the areas where they were almost look like either they're swollen, or at least back to where they were before i had the surgery...freaky.

i haven't noticed anything with tasting foods--tastes good to me!!! i have noticed tho that it seems like i have something caught on the left side down my throat a little ways, and i can't get at it with a q-tip, and can't always swallow it down with water....once in awhile if i stick my tongue out really far it "dislodges" and i can then swallow it. i wonder what this is...

good luck on your singing!! that would be horrible if you lost one of your favorite things cuz of this surgery...and i hope your tastes come back soon!!

I have a horrible pain below my right ribcage: Doc only guesses gallbladder- ULTRASOUND and X-Rays came back normal and the ER just stared at me; sad they had no explanation- IT HURTS when I yawn and sneeze and MOSTLY when I'm laying down or turning my body side to side- WHAT is wrong with me? I do also have chronic Cryptic Tonsilitus ... so I have discovered from online research- Could there be a LINK? I am going to see an APRN early DEC. Hope they can crack the mystery!