It's interesting to note that most people who have written in on this topic have suffered with this issue for such a short time. I've had this problem since I was a child and am now 34. Recently, I've been trying to see if what I eat plays a part. I notice when I eat chips, cookies or anything coarse that these chunks form. They smell horrible & show up maybe every 2-3 days. Once I cough them up, an empty hole remains in its place. I wonder if this is an indication of some sort of condition. I used to suffer with strep throat, but have not had that in a year. Most times I can cough them up, but there have been times when it popped off & I didn't cough it up in time & swallowed them. Is that dangerous to my system? Other than removing my tonsils, is there a permanent cure?

I don't know what they are, but I had the same thing occur this summer for the first time. Just this morning I woke up with one and had to physically remove it. Gross Gross Gross! I hope you find out what it is.

What your experiencing is perfectly harmless, yet somewhat gross. Those are actually caclium deposits that can form in your throat or anywhere near your tonsils. They form in these little pouches throughout your throat area. Sometimes it can cause slight irritation, but that is uncommon. As far as swallowing them goes, it poses no health risks. I hope that helps you.

What is referred to as Tonsil Stones. Here is a website for more info.
http://www.internettradebureau.com/articles/tonsilstones.htm

I have a strange story about Tonsil Stones. Back in 1974, when I was a kid we flew to Germany to live a couple of years because my dad was in the Army. Just a week after we got there both my brother and I noticed on the same day that we had these strange white deposits on our tonsils. Now what are the odds of getting them the same day. We thought we had picked up some weird disease from Germany. We both have very deep holes on both tonsils and can have up to 9 or 10 stones at a time. Our throats get very sore from the irritation of so many. I found that if I apply suction to the back of my throat that they come out easily. You just have to figure out how to suck back that far then just spit them out. I do it often enough that I don't get bad breath from them. Good luck. They are a pain but I've learned to live with it.

I agree. I have been getting those weird, horribly smelling somewhat tough like wet mashed bread since I was a little kid. I am 28 now. I was often scared about swallowing them as well. I now feel so much better that there was nothing to worry about. I am so happy. They are less frequent now in my life. Also, I may drink real milk 4 times a year. There may be a connection there. I still eat dairy ice cream and cheese. I just eat rice milk or soy milk with my cereal and do not drink stand alone cow milk. Hope this helps.

i've been removing mine with a wet q-tip. i've tried gargling mouthwash but it doesn't seem to prevent them :-(

Unfortunately you cannot prevent tonsil stones. In fact, I think that mouthwash may even irritate your tonsils to the point where you have them more than you normally would. I would suggest washing your mouth out in the front of your mouth only so that you don't exacerbate it. I let them come out on their own. I think virtually everyone gets them!

I'm only 16, but I've had this problem for a few years, after my lymph nodes in the neck started swelling whenever I was sick. These things are disgusting and sometimes, for me, get so large or stuck that I have to take a tooth-hook and physically remove them. I'm not sure if they really correspond with with food, althouh I'm sure they can, but mine always seem to be worse when my glands are swollen. I assume that anyone who has scarring on their tonsils or neck lymph nodes will probably have this problem worse than someone who hasn't.

I get these things too. I don't know of any food that makes them appear or disappear. They do smell terrible. I kind of press on my tonsils and they pop out. Sometimes I will use a little tool of some sort like a toothpick to pick them out.

I have been getting these my whole life. I try to take mine out w a q tip. I can never really get all of it out. I am one of the few cases where they irritate me so much it's painful. I know they are harmless to my health, but I would really like them to stop completely. It makes my breath soooo bad!!!!!! :'( :$

I been getting them for about 2 years now...i never got them before until my mom started spitting them up...the come up whenever they want...i know i coudnt have got them from dairy because i have always drank a lot of milk...i dont know what they are but theyre really annoying

I use a turkey baster to get mine out. My wife loves it. 

You can flush them out with a water-pik

My tonsils were removed at 4 yrs old. i am now 37 i have been dealing with all my life. Having your tonsils removed Wont solve anything. I dont have my tonsils and istill get the nasty smelly balls. I have this excersise method of using Throat excersie where i tighten and squeeze my throat to get them out it usually works but i do it so much the back of my throat starts to bleed.