Hi, I have been experiencing pains in pelvic region. This pain is not constant, but rather a short stabbing pain that lasts couple of seconds. It is really annoying, because it can happen at any time and it is so strong that I feel like I am going to faint. Could you tell me what could cause this pains in my pelvic region? I would not like to waste my time and go to doctor’s office if it is nothing serious.

Hi, and first of all I would like to say that pain in the pelvic region might be caused by a number of things. None of which should be taken lightly. I can tell you some of the conditions that might cause pelvic pain, but you should definitely see a doctor as soon as possible because he is the only one who can do necessary tests and determine the right diagnosis. There are many conditions that can cause the symptoms you have described. The first thing that comes to my mind is an ovarian cyst. When it leaks it causes the sharp pain that you have described. Also, vaginal infections and some sexually transmitted diseases might be the cause of the problem. But, except for the genital organs, urinary and digestive tracts might be the root of the problem as well. Infection or inflammation of these organs can also cause severe pain. For instance, I can tell you that appendicitis can produce very intense pain. Imagine what might have happened if I chose to ignore the pain caused by appendicitis. Chances are that I would not be writing this now. Therefore, I have to insist that you go and see your doctor if you want to get better.