I recently went into hospital for alcohol induced acute pancreatitis, leading to necrosis (death of pancreatic cells). i can never drink again, and thats fine but i would like to know if i can ever smoke marijuana again, as i was a regular user of it befor the incident, and am rather fond of it. im smoking cigarettes again, and they seem to be having no adverse affects (apart from obvious).

also, out of interest could i ever take ecstacy again?

Is there an answer to Marcus' questions - most interested as well.

marcus, marcus, marcus!!!! smoking cigarettes is the 2nd worst thing you can do after drinking. Pancreatitis is a grave illness and you need to quit smoking tobacco if you want to stay alive. You would do fine with Marinol (an oral marijuana) or a cannabis vaporizor. You can get marinol prescribed for you for appetite loss.

Hello... I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pancreatitis due to Excessive drinking in november of 2007...

After four days in the hospital i came home and continued smoking, both CIGARETTES AND WEED, I am not condoning this practice, i am just sharing my experience...

Its been four months, i have continued smoking cigarettes and weed everyday, and i have occasionally done extasy and cocaine... none of which gave me any problems with my pancreatitis....

Recently i quit drugs but i am still smoking cigarettes... I dont know if my experience is normal but thats how it worked for me...

hope this helps with u newcomers to the pancreatitis club... IT SUCKS hahaha but u suck it up and deal with it

I was also curious as to marijuana use but for treatment of pancreatitis.I researched medical marijuana and found out that smoking it does not cause harm to your pancreas, in fact it can be used to help ease the pain and help with appetite stimulation.
However do not use it in food because that would cause too much strain on the already overtaxed pancreas.

hi, its marcus from the original post nearly a year ago. since, i have smoked cigarettes, cannabis and taken xtc. and here are my findings.

first , kick the cigarettes, there a joke but as a smoker have found no problems. the the weed was fine, no problems at all but because of the munchies you tend to eat sh*t food which can bring on alot of pain, so preparing low fat food in advance is a good idea. fruit, cornflakes, yoghurt, things like that. PUT THE PIZZA DOWN! dont use it to ease the pain ether because as the munchies come on it makes your panc. work harder. sore. otherwise its grand! with the E. no problems at all. i was sh**ting it the first time after being sick but it was fine. although i never took it while having a flare up, cos that would be stupid, i recon it did help over all because you tend not to eat much for a day or two and it gives your panc. a nice little break. took mushies aswell, and found no problems but if you where to spinn out, and start thinking about it you could have a REALLY bad trip, luckily i spent the whole time so damn confuseed i couldnt remember my own name, never mind having a sever condition.
hope that helped

Although there's a lot positive literature about smoking marijuana, be careful there have been case studies that show smoking too much can, in fact, induce acute pancreatitis. So, I wouldn't recommend smoking daily or even regularly, at least not heavily.

I recently came down with pancreatitis. I dont drink hardly ever, but do smoke marijuana heavily. I only smoke cigs when im rollin at a rave (about once every 2 months average). The Dr.s could not really determine what exactly caused my pancreatitis, although I did have strep throat and the flu a week before and up to when my pancrease started hurting. I have been smoking weed for about 9 years now; and heavily smoked herbs for about 6 years. I also LOVE eating medical edibles, but am now scared to eat them since i got pancreatitis.

Do you think that smoking and eating ganja edibles did this? Or do you think my strep infection is maybe the cause? I have had no adverse effects of smoking marijuana up to this point but want your opinions. Im thinking about getting a volcano now and quitting smoking and only vaporizing. Also if I smoke a lot of hash could that be a factor in pancreatitis? Thanks for the help

:-( Hi Marcus. So Glad u are having a good time with all that dope and stuff while we are going out of our minds with worry about whether you are going to actually stay alive and have any chance of a decent life. You really had us fooled. We thought you were an innocent victim and I even believed your pancreatitis was caused by an injury and not by alcohol and drug abuse. There are no words on earth that could ever describe a mothers pain to read that her son is so intent on destroying his life. We weren't perfect parents by any means but we have worked as hard as we could to give you a decent life.We moved out of the city because we thought it would be better for you and that having your grandparents nearby would be good for you. We welcomed all your friends into our home and drove you and your friends around to try to make life good for you.When you recovered to some extent from your month or so in intensive care we helpedyou in any way we could. When you produced your daughter 9 minths later after a drugs party we again acted like suckers and believed you were just entertaining friends and of course you were innocent of any wrong doing.
We were delighted to welcome your daughter into the family where she has been loved ever since. We opened our home to her mum and grandad and when you produced a new girlfriend we welcomed her too. You were my hope and my joy. I sacrificed a hoped for career as an artist to marry your father and make a home for us. I knew I could go back some day and having a family was the most important thing for me. I thought a brother and sister for you would make the picture complete. It was not perfect but lots of people survive much harder lives.
We honestly believed that you had made a few mistakes. Nobody knew you were drinking so much or that you were doing drugs. We really believed that you had cleaned up your act when you came out of hospital. How could you come so close to death and not change.Why did you do it in the first place?
You were my first born son , my beloved baby ,my little boy. Obviously I failed you utterly,as a parent. you can read all the poems in the world and as many drug induced philosophies as you like but you will never find a question with such pain as this.
Why my son?

I smoked both pot and clove cigarettes (outdoors!) WHILE I was hostipalized with pancreatitis. Didn't seem to affect my recovery either way, and helped with the pain (they were undermedicating that, partly by my wishes because I didn't want to get too dependent on morphine) as well as the depression and axiety of being bedridden, in pain, in a place full of suffering people.

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

Catch this: I had 1-2 drinks a day for a couple years, and smoked a little weed everyday for about 20 years. One day, I stopped the weed and increased my cigarette intake from 1-2 smokes per day to 3-4. I developed pancreatitis for the first time about 45 days later. Having lasted about three months, it has been upgraded from acute to recurrent pancreatitis. I quit drinking and smoking everything. Healing has been slow and it is probably also due to a condition called divisum.

At the beginning when things were at the worst, I found marijuana to alleviate pain. More recently, however, I have found it slightly antagonistic to my pancreatitis, even when the marijuana is in vapor form. However, the negative impact caused by the vaporized marijuana may be due to the appetite stimulation causing enzymes to be pushed through strictured ducts. Therefore, eating marijuana would cause the same effect. I tried to find additional research on the new study linking cigarette smoking to pancreatitis, to see if the chemicals involved could also be consumed when vaporizing marijuana. It remains unknown to me the actual causes, but if ingesting a substance causes pain, it might not be a good thing.

i got fxcking pancreatitis from smoking to much weed (i am talking about 5 grams on 2 days on a 3 monthly basis non stop)
doctors told me to stop smoking weed, since i stopped it got way better
seems that cannabis causes the pancreatitis
in about 3 weeks i'm going to try to smoke cannabis again to see if the doctors where serious about me never being able to smoke weed again

Dear Mom of Marcus,

Your post was startling... and sobering. I was wondering how Marcus is doing now. I was also wondering if you might email me and send me his email so I could talk to him. I have some experiences that might help him out if he is still having trouble.

If you can email me at this address I would be grateful. I will gladly help Marcus get pointed in the right direction if he allows.

Mark

I have been told by the doc that I have the pancreatis .i do not drink much but i do smoke pot alot and have for 30 yrs .could pot bring on this prob .

I too have developed pancreatitis and have smoked pot for many years, at least 21 years. I developed pancreatitis after contracting a bad strep infection. It seems like the pot actually stresses the pancreas and then leaves it open to infection, especially strep infection. After 3 years of researching what has happened to me because the doctors were totally clueless, I figured out on my own that the major factor is the strep. I developed rheumatic fever from the strep which caused my pancreas to become even more inflamed and also affected my heart, liver and kidneys.

I think the pattern would be as follows:

1. heavy use of marijuana for at least 19 years, this will cause your pancreas to become compromised and open to infection, ESPECIALLY Strep.

2. untreated strep will progress to rheumatic fever (an inflammation disease) and further stress the pancreas into full blown acute pancreatitis.

3. rheumatic fever will affect your other organs and you will develop sepsis and come close to death without antibiotic treatment.

4. simple way to avoid all this, I found is to stop smoking pot for at least a week once a month or every other month depending on how severe your system becomes from the affects of other infections.

5. get antibiotics right away, when you feel a real strep infection coming on.

6. the signs and symptoms of all this is waking with nausea, chest pain in the pancreatic area that goes to your back, feels like it's right over your heart and feeling very sick and a rapid pulse rate (that's a sure sign that your pancreas is being stressed).

7. you should refrain from smoking out until your pancreas heals (at least a week)

8. load a big fat bowl, once your symptoms subside and monitor how you feel, if you start feeling sick again, you may want to wait a lil while longer. Otherwise, don't forget to take a break to give your pancreas time to bounce back.

9. worse case scenerio, you can develop pancreatic cancer, but it's usually related to alcohol abuse and infections of the pancreas itself.

10. Good luck guys and gals cause pot IS the safest drug that you can use. de-legalize alcohol and legalize marijuana. less traffic deaths and health related issues.