Hi, my partner has been in hospital for the last two and a half weeks with acute pancreatitis and is just coming back around now, they have told her that she will have to get her Gall Bladder out. I was wondering, once the gall bladder comes out can pancreatitis come back, what can I do to help her so that this does not happen again.

I had pancreatitis as well and then had gall bladder surgery. I have not had any pancreatitis flare ups after my initial illness. My doctor was worried for awhile about another pancreatitis attack, but now that my gall bladder is out I think she is less concerned.

Good luck to both of you, I know first hand how horrible pancreatitis is!!!

I had the gallbladder removed and still aquired the attack of pancreatitis, it is not the cause in my case, however the gallbladder is a leading cause in panc attacks. Sad to say some have a disorder that is incurable, or un-traced to what is the cause! I too am upset with this disorder, but what can we do, other than live with it!!

Hello.........I have had 2 attacks in 4 years starting in 2004. Each time I was hospitalized I had just gone on vacation. The Docs said that I have high tryglycerides and this was the cause. Each time I got my period with in a few days. I too asked about the birth control pill I was on (Yasmin) and the fact that each episode revolved around my period. They told me it was not a factor. I have had to watch what I eat and take Gemfibroil for lowere tryglycerides. So far it seemed to help until this week. I started a generic brand for Yasmin 7 days ago and on Saturday woke up with Pancreatitis symptoms. I have decided to go off the birth control pill and see what happens. Anyone have a similar story?

Hi Chris B

I have recently had a pancreatitis attack which coincidentally happened just before my period. I too was on the birth control pill Yasmin but have stopped taking it. I thought it was better to be on the safe side and not put anything into my body that I thought wasn't natural or good for me, but didn't think it was necessarily connected until reading your post. I had only just recently started taking the pill again before having the attack. I think it's worth looking into! Good luck!

[b]My gall bladder was removed 10 years ago..........I was just in the hospital from 1-10 thru 1-17 because my body was still able to produce a stone that got caught up in my common Duct that is shared with stomach, liver, and pancreas. No alcohol. Low fat high carb diet.

i was also in hosp. for 7 days in jan dealing with pain and nausea for 1 year now gallbladder out 10 yrs. ago but my dr said that was to long ago for me to form a stone and would not test for it. i am still dealing with nausea do u think i should change drs.????? its been a long yr. i am sick of being sick2

I would think getting another opinion certainly would not hurt. I have read on this forum of stones being formed or found years after GB removal. You do not have to quit your doctor if you dont want to but you could certainly let someone else have a shot at it! Good luck with it

Chris B,

Almost the same thing happened to me. I have had several attacks over the years. The first was in 2005, when I was 19. I didn't drink at all, but my diet was poor, and I was on yasmin. The doctors could not figure out the cause of the pain, so they took out my appendix. I was back 4 months later; they took out my gallbladder. I was in and out of the hospital with the same "phantom" pain for the next several months. All the attacks coincided with my period. I went off Yasmin on the recommendation of a nurse at college.

I went back on the pill in 2008. During the first month, when I got my period, I was back in the hospital. This time the doctors concluded it was pancreatitis. I didn't go off of yasmin, and I was back in the hospital less than a month later. I nearly died. I was in the ICU for several days.

I went off of Yasmin, started taking Metformin and Gemfibrozil and I haven't had an attack since. My doctor said there was no way that Yasmin had anything to do with it... but I think that it definitely did. I don't think it was the only factor, since my triglycerides were through the roof... but I think the Yasmin had something to do with it.

For all those who are wondering, please Google Yasmin and gallbladder disease.

My 17 yo daughter has just undergone cholecystectomy after being on Yasmin for 15 months. I would like to make contact with anyone in the UK who has been taking this particular birth control pill and then developed gallbladder disease or had pre-existing symptoms, which became acute.

hey,
21 UK and been on Yasmin for over 18 months...
i'm about to have my gall bladder removed in a few weeks time. after suffering over the last year with attacks caused by the gall stones. I had just been googling the recovery time for the op, trying to plan ahead really and discovered all these articles linking gallbladder disease and yasmin. I previously hadn't connected the two. I might try asking my doctor about it when I go in. If it is connected, I can't believe I have been putting it into my body every day for over a year and damaging myself! But then, something tells me it's not....all the side effects they list have nothing close to gall bladder disease, can one pill really damage a body in SO many different ways....
regardless, in many ways it has really hindered my time at uni,

I developed pancreatitis in 2008 due to gallstones. Once the pancreas is irritated it is more susceptible to future flare ups. I have been on birth control pills for years but several months ago was started on a diuretic and cholesterol medicine. I had another flare up within a month of starting the new meds. I saw a great GI doctor today that said all three of the meds. have been linked to pancreatitis and I should stop taking all of them. Hopefully I can get this resolved now. I've learned that the regular health care physician is ill-equipped to deal with the pancreas. Please ask for a referral to a GI doctor if you continue to have problems.

If anyone ghecks online, there are lawyers leading legitimate lawsuits against YAZ, Yazmine, and the med spirolactin, which is in Yasmine. It is the diuretic/ androgen blocking aspect of this pill that is particularly bad news.

There is help out there, and you are entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering! SHAME ON THEM- Yasmi is still on the market, damaging other young lives! Pancreatitis is NOT something that young teens or women in their 20's usually get, poor diet or not!

hi my name is samantha i had developed pancreatitis in 2008 due to gallstones right when i found out i was pregnant i was in so much pain in the middle of the knight rushed to the hospital so many times wacking up not able to breath good and in so much pain and everytime i went they didnt know what i had untill i went to the hospital for the fourth time they finally did a catscan on me and thats when they found out i had gallstones so they told me not to eat gressy stuff and gave me morfin everytime i went and sent me home that was it cause they couldnt do much cause i was pregnant and i keep ending up in the hospital in the middle of the knight till finally they said we have to keep u in the hospital so i was there for two weeks nothing to eat just a bag of liquid cause that time i developt pancreatitis they said it went down the flair a little so they sent me home a week later i was back in the hospital and keep me there for a nother two weeks and that time i was on morpine still and woke up not knowing where i was i was scared i woke up crying and my husband woke up cause he was asleep and said its okay i thought i was going crazy with the medication that they were giving me untill i calm down i was still on the liquid its a bag of liquid that has food in it weird but after the two week they could do surgury yet cause they wanted me to have my baby then go on with the surgury so i wont have to suffer but when i turned five months i ended up back in the hospital they check my baby when i got there and i found out it was a boy he was fine so i was so happy and it was my birthday and motherday at the same time me and my husband had a big smile until 1 almost 2 in the morning they wanted to check the baby cause i ended up bleeding the next day i found out i was lossing my little baby so right away they had me pushing my son out he didnt surve comeing out it was hard i had all my family in the room crying i could stop either until the nurse had him i ask if i could hold him before she takes him he was so tiny i should not have done that no everytime i see his box of ashes i see him so they keep me in the hospital for a while and let me go home on this bag maching with liqued of food so i could eat till the flair went down it worked i think for a month i was on it and was off of it so i started eating regular food and it made it worse so went back in untill finally they said we have to get ur galbladder remove and im gannna have to have a tube on the side of me after i have the surgury to drain my pancreas so i did it i was in so much pain after with a lot of stitchis and a tube town my strote i was in a lot of pain my trote was so dry that i made me throw up every knight till finally they took it out in a week i felt so much better but still in pain from the stiches the good part was the medication they had me hook up to that was the best everytime i felt pain just push the button and fast it went away after a while in the hospital they had me up and walking that was weird felt like i was a new born baby trying to walk again but i say having the surgury was worth it for me got pregnant a year later now im having a boy i fell like its a gift from god that i lost a year a go now im happy and healthy thank u for reading this

Hey I have had my gallbladder removed. It was infected and twice the size. I did drink a lot during college and Iv had a pretty good diet. But I stopped drinking 2-3 months before my gall bladder attack. I had strong pains in my chest and ABS area. I also was having a feeling of shortness of breath. Well anyways I had my Gallbladder taken out and was doing fine for the first two weeks, then my symptoms started coming back, little bit of shortness of breath, back was hurting, and I cant seem to eat anything greasy or fatty. Iv been going to the bathroom a lot and have had sharp pains and achyness in my left upper ABS. Do you think I should get my doc to send me to a check up on my Pancreas? To make sure its not in-flared ? Cause it seems like the longer people have waited , the longer you stayed in the hospital?