Hello all, my name is Josh Gray, I am somewhat new to this site. Let me say I love it, all the information we need about ourselves and health is here. You will notice I will post forums about my medical condition (pancreatitis), and respond to others suffering as well. I enjoy reading and researching this debilitating condition. Although I don't enjoy having this condition! I have done about 13 posts or so, I comment, respond and talk about issues to educate us all. I live in Colorado and have had pancreatitis since 1999. Although it went un-diagnosed for several years, yeah imagine that. I started getting the attacks after I was a heavy drinker, so sadly the first episode was alchol induced. I have had it ever since, kind of like it just keeps hanging on and on. In the last three years I have had about 9 attacks, all which have landed me in the hospital. in fact I had a tenth one today, 3 liters of IV fluids and pain meds later I am once again back on track. Please, please feel free to add your comments to my posts, I enjoy the feedback I get from them. Have a great evening and we will be talking soon via posts and forums.

Greetings Josh Gray,

Welcome to the Board. We are happy to have you here :-D !
I have to say that I'm very sorry you are having to go through this debilitating disease! Have you managed to get rid of your drinking habits? I guess you had to due to the illness.

Besides Gallbladder, Liver, Pancreas & Spleen Issues forum that you may find useful, there is also Alcohol Addiction forum if you haven't found it already, so you could make use of this forum as well if not for your own benefits then to give advice to those people who are going through bad withdrawals and cravings now or their family members who need help with coping.

If you need help with anything, feel free to contact me!

Jenny

Thank you for such a warm inviting welcome. I have enjoyed this site more than any other health site I have visited. It gives me a chance to interact with others about a variety of health issues. I enjoy par-taking my time in sharing stories, ideas, thoughts, concerns and feedback! PLease read my forums, as I have posted quite a few now.

So, after checking out this site I decided Id finally talk to people who actually understand how painful it is to have this . ... Im 20 years old and have chronic pancreatitis .. ive had it for 5 years now .. and get bad attacks every few months ... seen ever specialist in town , and some across the country ... and ... I have them stumped .. I've had the surgeries .. taken the enzymes ... avoided the foods and alcohol .. and its still here ... and yet .. they wont give me anything for pain .. only when I'm in the hospital ... do you guys recommend anything to take the back pain away after an attack ? .. im going to the walk in clinic tomorrow to see if theres anything at all he will help me out with .... im too young to be walking hunched over in pain hahah

Ok, so another sufferer of pancreatitis. I must say if you have chronic episodes then you need a constant supply of meds. I am on dilaudid 4 mg and oxycodone 20 mg ER, and Morphine Sulfate. Oh and a constant dose of Phenergan for the nausea. I don't know how you manage without pain meds, it will save you a trip to the ER for sure. I would demand something for pain from the doctor. Settle for nothing less than oxycodone, and dilaudid, it's the only thing that will keep you out of pain. Some doctors are hesitant on giving this stuff out because of its class of abuse and narcotice DEA status, but you have to have it. I usually get my oxycodone filled at 45 QTY. The dilaudid at 30 QTY. The dilaudid is for break thru pain, the oxy is for pain control around the clock. The liquid morphine is for immediate pain releif, in the middle of an attack sort o speak. Hope this help and 20 is a young age to start with this ordeal. Good luck making it past 50, if they don't get it nipped.

ENJOYED READING ABOUT THIS TERRIBLE CONDITION AS I HAVE ALSO HAD IT I DEVELOPED THE ACUTE FORM I WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR 10 WEEKS I HAVE NEVER DRANK ALCOHOL THEY THINK IT WAS GALLSTONES BUT THEY NEVER FOUND ANY I HAD TO HAVE A NECROSECTOMY I HAVE JUST BEEN BACK IN HOSPITAL AS I DEVELOPED A PSEUDOCYST AND A PANCREATIC ABCESS THE PAIN IS INDESCRIBABLE I HAVE HAD TO HAVE ANOTHER OPERATION AT THE MOMENT I HAVE A DRAIN INSITU AS I HAVE A PANCREATIC DUCT LEAK I AM WAITING TO GO BACK IN FOR AN ERCP TO HAVE A STENT PUT IN PLACE AS YOU CAN SEE PANCREATITIS AND ALL ITS TERRIBLE COMPLICATIONS I CAN GO ON AND ON ABOUT THIS DISEASE BUT THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO KEEP POSITIVE.

I have a question. With your first case of pancreatitis, how long were you in the hospital? and were you ever hooked up to a ventilator and not beign able to breath on your own? The reason I am asking is because that is currently what is happening with my dad, and we do not know what to expect. thanks.

Hi Josh:
I just wanted to welcome you after your first few weeks as a member. I hope that this site has met your expectations thus far. How are things going. Have you gotten some good information? I'm sure that you have been helpful to other members. Let me know what you think so far. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi I am 31 years old & have been admitted into hospital several times with chronic pain. I was seen by a consultant this Christmas eve to be told all the times I had been in pain only once could they diagnose that it was my pancreas causing this! Although I do enjoy the odd glass of wine after a long day, unfortunaly some of us can't enjoy pleasures in life others can. The last time I spent just under a week in hospital I don't believe my condition was taken seriously & was discharged still in pain!! Now I am eating on MRI scan to check my gallbladder. I am frightened about pancreatitis as I lost my father in 2012 of cancer of the pancreas! But find it unfair not to be taken seriously when in pain. An doctors presuming it's your on problem due to alcohol intake! I have lost contact with a few family members reacting as my attacks are self inflicted.