Guys, like you could see from my nickname, I am really sick and tired - of everything. Ok, I am dealing with my problems and now I have to deal with the problems of my boyfriend. He has problems with alcohol lately and I don't know what to do and how to talk to him about this. He is getting worse every week. He even lost his job. Well, the worst problem is that he has those panic attacks for days after drinking alcohol followed with nasty hangovers. What to do about this?

I just can't fight with him about this anymore...

Hey mrs Sick and Tired,

First of all, before anything else, your boyfriend seems to have a drinking problem. Why don't you two start working on that first? Make him stop, you can do it if you are strong enough (although he needs to be strong enough as well), make him go to self-help groups for alcohol addiction, something has to be done. 
When you guys figure this out and he stops drinking, his panic attacks and his nasty hangovers are going to stop as well. The main problem, the enemy here is the alcohol, once you get rid of that, everything is going to be good.

There is a strong link between alcohol and panic attacks. Those people who suffer from anxiety and such attacks are often tempted to turn to alcohol as a solution. This type of self medication is common. In the beginning drinking does appear to lessen anxiety, and the individual may also believe that it is preventing their panic attacks. Over time the dampening effect of alcohol begins to disappear. The individual discovers that alcohol is the worst possible solution to their attacks, but by then they may feel unable to stop drinking. Once he stops drinking alcohol, his panic attacks should become less frequent.

Your boyfriend has panic attacks regardless of his alcohol problem, am I right, mrs Sick and Tired?

There are a few things that he can do to treat his problem with panic attacks (he also needs to stop drinking alcohol, of course):

- Psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is a process in which trained mental health professionals help people by talking through strategies for understanding and dealing with their disorder.

- Cognitive behavioral therapy. A type of psychotherapy that helps a person learn to recognize and change thought patterns and behaviors that lead to troublesome feelings.

- Medication. There are several anti-depressant medications used to treat panic disorder. 

You are really brave for your decision to stay with your boyfriend even after all of these problems that he is having. I don't know if that is love, if it is brave, or just stupid, but I admire your courage, that's for sure.

He obviously has more problems than just one. If you have any influence on him, you really need to get him off the alcohol. It is going to be the first step towards helping him fight these panic attacks. After he's done that, he might want to search for some professional help, like psychologists or something like that.

Hello there. I am sorry because I was not here for a while, but trust me I was really sick and tired of everything and I was fighting with my boyfriend all the time because of his problems. I really don't know what to do. I advised him to go to see his doctor because this happens all the time and I am really afraid that he can become aggressive. Yes Deni blue, you are totally right. My boyfriend has panic attacks regardless of his alcohol problem. I didn't know what there are some medications that can help him. Do I need to talk to doctor to prescribe those pills to him?

Good day. I do know how hard and problematic this can be. I had similar experience but I could not deal with it so I broke up with my boyfriend because of it. I am not proud of it but I didn't have nerves to deal with it. Your boyfriend just like mine ex has problems with alcohol and it is more serious that those panic attacks that he is dealing with. But you both need to talk and you need to convince him to go to see his doctor, because he needs to have therapies for it. It can become more serious than those panic attacks that he is dealing now...

Hey. I can't leave him. Sometimes I think that I won't be able to stay with him, but I really don't want to leave him because I can see that he is obviously dealing with problems that are really heavy. I know that he is having problems with alcohol and I don't know how to help him about this because whenever I try to talk to him, he starts to have those panic attacks. I will consult my doctor tomorrow about this and I will ask him about those medications that deni blue was mentioned earlier.