Hi guys.

So my extremely silly brother was diagnosed with angina almost four years ago. He is good sport player, he loves to exercise and he is trying to have healthy life. But, one week ago her wife left him (for some other guy) and since than he is really depressed. He started to drink even if he knows that this is not very good idea. He called me today and told me that he is having constant chest pain after drinking alcohol. Please, what he should do? How dangerous this is? He is really silly but I don’t want to argue with him. I know how he feels.

Hello Eric,

It would be useful to know how much did he drink. It is known that small doses of alcohol can have a protective effect on your heart, but only small ones.

Since he has angina, chest pain is something that is going to happen to him regularly if he is doing any physical activity, exercising, stressing, if he is experiencing periods of extreme cold or hot temperatures, after heavy meals or while drinking alcohol or smoking. 

Angina pain should only last for a couple of minutes. If it endures longer, or if it endures for more than 15 minutes after he used his medication, than he is probably having a heart attack and you should call an ambulance.

Hello you two,

You need to take things into your own hands and make him stop drinking. It is normal for him to feel chest pain after drinking alcohol but he seriously shouldn't drink large amounts of it. You should make this your responsibility, he might get mad at you or something, but it is his life in question.

Large doses of alcohol in his case are dangerous and can easily lead to a heart attack. If he can't or doesn't want to understand that, it doesn't matter, as long as you find a way to keep alcohol away from him.

Hi everyone,

It is normal that he is feeling pain after drinking alcohol since he has angina.

What exactly do you mean by "constant pain"? Is it happening every time after he drinks alcohol or did it start happening even when he doesn't drink it? If it is the second case, it would be wise of him to visit a doctor.

People who are drinkers are usually limited to 2 drinks per day when they are diagnosed with angina. Two drinks a day can't really harm anybody so if your brother can manage to do that, it would be great. And one more thing, find him a new girlfriend, that might help.

Hello everyone,

I believe that your brother has big chances of having a heart attack. If he continues to drink, he is definitely going to have one, sooner or later. He needs to understand that the doctors didn't tell him that he can't drink and smoke for no particular reason. There is definitely a reason for it, and a good one, it's his life in question.

Like Stradivarius wrote, only 2 drinks are allowed per day for men with angina, and only a single drink for women with angina. If he can't quit drinking, at least make him follow the rule of two drinks a day.

Hey there. Well, since we don’t know what amount of drink we are talking about, I will try to answer you what I do know. I think that one cup of alcohol should not be harmful to anybody, but whole bottle is totally different story. No one should drink that much, especially patients who are diagnosed with angina.

Like someone in here already told you, he is in the risk of having heart attack and he should be really careful if he wants to live.

Have you talked with him about this issue? If you didn’t, you should.

As soon as possible...

Hey everyone.

I would always say that drinking alcohol can never be a good idea at all. Alcohol can cause a numerous of health issues. He knows that he is dealing with angina, so drinking alcohol in some bigger amount is really bad idea for him. I think that you should tell this to him, he needs to know that this can seriously harm his health.

I don’t know is he drinking medications, because if he does, than drinking alcohol is the worst idea ever.

He has a big chance to get a heart attack if he is drinking often.

If I were him, I would never drink alcohol.

Hey everyone. Well here is what he needs to do. He needs to visit his doctor as soon as possible. My friend was an alcoholic – literally. He was drinking every day and that all started when his wife abandoned him. He was drinking a lot and he started to feel bad chest pain. He went to see his doctor and he was diagnosed with angina. He wanted to be healthy and alive, but he couldn’t leave alcohol. Now he is at the rehabilitation and I know that he is in very bad shape because of his angina. Think about it and let him know this.