After feeling like I've had a lump in my throat for about 3 weeks, my doctor discovered "nodules" on my thyroid and parathyroid. After doing much research online, I am sure that at least one of my parathyroid glands will need to be removed. I'm really scared because I've not found any single article that refers to both parathyroid and thyroid nodules at the same time... I have not been to the ENT yet but have an appt. scheduled. I am searching diligently for an experienced parathyroid surgeon in Indiana. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.

You are doing the right thing in searching diligently to find an experienced parathyroid surgeon in your state. You could also check with your local hospital's hospitalist director or your own physician for a recommendation. They would have a lot of information for you. Depending on your insurance plan, they may have a recommendation as well - of course, this is more geared toward who they contract with if you are with an HMO. There are several sites online that allow you to search for docs in your own state and provide you with pending lawsuits they have against them (medical malpractice suits) - you might check those out as well. In all, you are doing the right thing. Lots of research is a great thing and pays in the long run. Best of luck to you,

You really don't need to be scared. I recently had surgery to remove a large thyroid nodule and a parathyroid adenoma. Because of the size of the thyroid nodule, the left lobe of the thyroid was also removed. It was all done in one surgery with an incision of about an inch. There was very little discomfort (I took two Tylenol) and recovery time was a couple of days.

Be very careful in the selection of your surgeon. Be sure that you feel confident with him. Talk with him and get all your questions answered.
The one who is closest to you is not necessarily the best. You might have to decide which factors are most important.

I chose to go to CA to have surgery with Dr Babak Larian and I couldn't be happier with the decision. You might not want to go that far but I suggest that you check out his website advancedonc.com and call him with your questions. He is very nice and is willing to answer questions, make suggestions and help however he can.

The surgery really isn't anything to dread and you will feel so much better afterward. Find the very best surgeon and trust him. Best wishes for your recovery. mass

mass, just out of curiosity, do you have any tips on what to look for in a good surgeon? I think it would be helpful to know what to expect from a surgeon because there could be some tips that some of us are unaware of. Thanks!

Bluedog,

Of course, the most important thing is the outcome of the surgery. Do you know someone who had surgery by the surgeon you are considering? Will the surgeon's office refer you to a past patient? Naturally, they will only refer you to satisfied patients.

Is the surgeon associated with a highly rated hospital?

Will the surgeon call/talk with you and answer your questions to your satisfaction?

Do you feel comfortable with the surgeon and feel confident in his/her skills?

I also think it is important for the office staff to be organized and efficient.

I hope this helps. mass