I had my parathyroid gland removed in January 10th. At that time I had a 12.7 reading. I just had my blood rechecked and my calcium level is 10.9. My endo surgeon said togo off of the 1800mg of calcium I had been taking daily.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Hi Paljoeymom,

After the surgery the calcium levels should return to normal in one or two days. Something is not functioning good. After the surgery have you experienced any voice changes? Unfortunately there is always the possibility that your surgeon didn’t do the job good. This is possible but the chances are really low.

After the surgery doctors usually prescribe calcium if the parathyroid does not recover right away. But after is does you don’t need your calcium intake any more. Is it possible that this is the reason why you were using the calcium in the first place? If it is then you shouldn’t worry about anything. Your recovery is then doing good and you won’t have any further problems.

Hi Marco,

Thank you for contacting me.  No voice changes.

My calcium level still continues to hover around 10.8.  I am changing HMO's so in January I will take my case to Kaiser which has a 5 Star (best possible) rating.  Hopefully, they can figure it out.  The Endo at the current place told me she wanted to do a wait and see approach, which basically meant she was stumped.  They ran about 18 different tests, which all showed normal except for calcium.  Knowing this, it was a little bit reassuring, but since the calcium is draining out of my bones it is upsetting. They know I do not have a 2nd bad Parathyroid. 

Hi!

I'm having the same problems.  My surgery was Jan of 2011.  How do they know you don't have another bad parathyroid?

Thanks