Howdy,

I have performed minimally invasive thyroid and parathyroid surgery for 13 years. I think my number exceed 3500 surgeries but lost count after a while. There are many surgeons who perform minimally invasive parathyroidectomy and thyroidectomy as well, if not better, than some who claim to be the only surgeon qualified to do so. I would be happy to talk with anyone interested, but I do not check this website often.

Jim Balserak, M.D., FACS
Southestern Surgery Associates
1951 N. Wilmot, Bldg 2
Tucson, AZ 85712
520-795-5845

You can also find me via a google search without much difficulty

Dr Balsrak: Can you recommend any general or endocrine surgeons in the Nashville, TN area? I have read your website. If it was at all possible, I'd go to AZ but would like to stay in my area. I could not find any email contact on your website. Thank you for any help. Mrs. P

I don't know Dr. Balsrak, but if you are in california and need a good thyroid surgeon go see Dr. Alen Cohen in Los Angeles. He is by far one of the best doctors and surgeons I've ever been to. I had papillary thyroid cancer and he did a total thyroidectomy and what he called a central neck dissection via a 2 inch incision in my neck. I went home the next day with no problems and back to work 5 days later. I live in San Diego and going to L.A. was worth the drive.

Just had a total thyroidectomy and central neck dissection by Dr. Alen Cohen in West Hills last week and I couldn't be happier with my decision to go with him.  I was referred to him by my endocrinologist in Encino and was surprised he referred me to a younger surgeon than an old guy.  He said the surgery is changed a lot and I'm really impressed with Dr. Cohen and his techniques and my patients are so happy with him.  Now I know why!  He is professional, courteous, intelligent and an amazing surgeon.  From the rumorville with the other 2 patients in his office, he is the best thyroid surgeon in Los Angeles.  The incision was 1.5 inches and I went home the same day talking and swallowing normally with minimal pain.  I'm already going back to work tomorrow one week later.  We're just waiting on the final pathology.  If all surgeons were as good as this guy, then the world would be a better place. 

Dr. Balserak,

Brief description of situation
Pre-surgical condition: Hyperthyroidism/Graves. 1998 total surgical thyroidectomy and 2/4 parathyroid glands were removed.

Currently, I take double the daily recommended dose of Calcium and take Vitamin D Rocaltrol 1x week because my calcium blood levels tend to be lower than they should be. I switch off from Calcium Citrate (gel tab) to Calcium Carbonate (tablet). I understand on an empty stomach the citrate is a better choice to take.

QUESTION: Which calcium do you feel is a good choice (citrate or carbonate)? Any general suggestions about Ca or information- would be interesting.

I also start taking the calicum in the afternoon, so it does not affect the Thyroid hormone I take in the morning.
If my Ca levels get low I experience numbness in fingers, then feet then as it gets worst the numbness symptom spreads. I also have had Calcium tendonitis and had ESWL to treat/break down the calcium deposit on the surface of bone (the humerus - upper right arm near shoulder). 

Doctor Balserak,
Can you advise as to any surgeons in New Jersey.
I prefer Middlesex/ Union Counties.
To perform removal of my thyroid. Without loss of voice?
Thank You.